No announcement yet.

Where is check names stored in Outlook 2007?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is check names stored in Outlook 2007?

In Outlook 2007 (SP2), there is a check names feature for completing email addresses.

When you type a few letters of an email address, then you use check names, or type Control+K to complete this email address.

Many times the fastest way to fix errors on someone's computer is to uninstall and reinstall, and I have complaints that this data is no longer there. May not sound like much, but when you run Outlook with Exchange and get thousands of contacts, it's a pain for them to start it over.

My question is where is this "check names" data stored? and can it be saved before a repair or a re-install of Office 2007.

Re: Where is check names stored in Outlook 2007?

It's in a file with an NK2 extension (nickname cache). The file name is usually based on the Outlook profile name, like outlook.NK2.

Joe is quite correct but I have expanded a little bit on his post since the folder is hidden by default.

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.NK2

or possibly

C:\Documents and Settings\username.domain\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.NK2 - If your machine is joined to a Domain.

The above is on Windows XP. To be able to find the file you must change from the default setting Do not show hidden files and folders (RED arrow) to Show hidden files and folders (dotted BLUE arrow)

Click image for larger version

Name:	show-hidden-files-folders.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	464136

If you are using Vista post back and I will post with the path for that location. Note too that you can edit the NK2 file and remove old or incorrect entries.
      Last edited by biggles77; 16th July 2009, 13:57.
      Departed: 23rd December 2015

I just search (including hidden files & folders) for *.nk2 as the path (as demonstrated above) is too bloody complex to remember
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Actually the check names feature scans the contacts in the address books.
          Make sure the contacts are listed as an address book.

Not to be confused with Auto Complete as above, NK2, etc...
          "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan