Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spam email

Hi!

This is my first time to post a topic and I hope someone could help me with my query.

I've been receiving spam email in my office email even though we already have filtering of spam email in the IPS. Also, I'm wondering why some of the email has wrong address but still enters my mailbox. for example, if my email address is [email protected], some of the email I receive is To: [email protected].

Please I need to be enlighten on this.

Thanks.

Re: spam email

Check the headers. Most likely they're displaying one thing, but actually being mailed to you correctly.

As for spam, no spam system is 100% effective.
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Does your office use an Exchange Server (or another email server) or are you using a POP email service. If using a POP service then you could try increasing the Filter settings on your Junk Mail Folder. If you do increase the settings then there is a likelyhood that legitimate email will end up in the Junk Mail.

Another option is to use RULES to delete or divert spam from your Inbox. This can be done by a lot of experimentation in choosing a keyword or words/phrase to trigger the RULE.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Your email address will be on a spam mailing list which was BCC'd on the spam mail. This is why you cannot see your address in the recipient field.
        You will not be able to see it in the headers either as BCC addresses do not appear in headers

Comment

hi!

we are using exchange server...some of the email actually has suspected email in the subject but was not filtered...also, according to our security officer, it could be intentionally done by someone who wants to annoy me no one in the company reports the same problem.

thanks.

Comment

Do you have IMF on (assuming its Exchange 2003)?
            Have you got any other spam filtering in place? -- I found that subscribing to MessageLabs reduced spam volumes by something like 90%, so I would recommend you have a chat with them

Yes, someone could sign you up for all sorts of mailing lists, but then again, if you are active on the internet anyway, your address could be more visible than others, or your name could be a more likely target (look at my sig to see why I have the same problem). Also, of course, you could be more aware of spam and other people just treat it as an irritation but dont bother reporting it -- some hard statistics would be good here.
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Are you part of the IT staff or an end user?

Comment

Working...
              X