No announcement yet.

Outlook 2003: 32 KB Rules Limit

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook 2003: 32 KB Rules Limit

I am configuring some Outlook rules to automate replies and forwards for our legal department.

Everything I've set up so far is working OK. But when I added more rules today, I learned the hard way about the 32 KB limit for rules (see t=21497 , KB 147298 , and KB 241325 ).
    server = Exchange 2003 Enterprise on Windows 2003 Standard
    client = Outlook 2003
    This is for a mailbox that nobody logs into ("dmca-agent"), but is accessed by the user in her Outlook client when she logs in as herself.

Is there any workaround for this?

First choice would be a Microsoft fix.

Second choice would be 3rd party software.

It would be preferable if the rules could be processed on the server, so that the client doesn't have to be logged in, but that may be asking too much. If it does have to be client-side, it would have to work if the mailbox is accessed by the user as herself, with no other user intervention required.

For example, Jane Smith logs into Outlook as herself, which opens up both her mailbox, and the "dmca-agent" mailbox. Rules would have to run for mail received by "dmca-agent."
    + Mailbox - Jane Smith
    -- Inbox
    -- Sent Items
    -- etc.
    + Mailbox - dmca-agent
    -- Inbox
    -- Sent Items
    -- etc.
    I can give Jane Smith whatever rights are necessary to the "dmca-agent" mailbox, including Full Control.

PS - some background on what I'm trying to accomplish at t=34508 and t=35158. If I can't do this with Rules, I'll have to look at scripting something, but that would take me more time than I want at this point.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Robert R.; 29th April 2009, 23:04.

Re: Outlook 2003: 32 KB Rules Limit

As far as I know, it's a hard limit. There's no official way around it and I don't know of any third party software that can change the limit either. You can "play" with the limit a bit by shortening the rule names to something like a list of "a, b, c" for the names, because even the names take up space.

Your other option is moving to Exchange 07 as I believe the default rule limit is 128k there, and it is configurable on a per-user basis using the Exchange Management Shell.
    Don't fool yourself. If you truly feel passionate about something, you will do whatever it takes. If you don't, you'd better get busy pursuing happiness, because it's all you've got.

Re: Outlook 2003: 32 KB Rules Limit

Do locally stored template files

C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates

count against the 32 KB rule limit?

UPDATE: It just occurred to me that since this is for a secondary mailbox, client-side rules to access locally stored template files probably won't work anyway if Jane Smith is logged in as herself, and not the secondary mailbox user. As it is, I don't even trust client-side rules to run for the primary mailbox...
      Last edited by Robert R.; 7th May 2009, 21:23.