Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pst backups

hey:

we're looking for a way to backup pst's to our network (or maybe even an external drive). we are already familiar with this. the problem with this, is that our users generally have large pst's (6gb, for example), and this tool runs when shutting down outlook. obviously, we can't have users waiting for 2 hours for their backup to complete before they power off and leave the office.

does anyone know of a utility that will backup a pst while outlook is open? is there a best practices guide? what does everyone else do? someone must have figgered this out, right?

thx!

Re: pst backups

How much money are you willing to spend on this? At one place I work at, we use Mimosa System's Nearpoint. Seems to work quite nicely. It solves a lot of issues, not the least of which is storage problems and it also allows users to search through their old emails quite well. It wasn't cheap and it also necessitates a storage server. I think it also needed it's own instance of SQL Server. We used a HP DL 320S with a mess of SATA drives in it. Of course, larger orgs would probably use some ginormous NetApp thingy.
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

wow, thx. we're a fairly small company, and that looks to be beyond our scope, but it looks pretty cool. thx.

Comment

PSTs are horrible things. It's always really annoyed me that auto-archive is set to on in Outlook by default, every time we get a call because a user can't find an email it's because Outlook has archived it.

Anyway, rant over. I assume from having PSTs of 6gb that you are tight for space on the Exchange server and the users have mailbox limits? If this is the case I'd look into an email archiving solution such as GFI Mail Archiver. If you are a small company then Enterprise Vault will not be cost effective.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

hmmm...that looks at least to be more in line with our company size, thx. maybe i'm missing something, but...

it appears to me that both of these solutions require the users' pst(s) to be offsite and accessed via an outlook connector (or owa). is that correct? you see what i'm getting at, right? what if you're an a boat? no pst's for you!

or, is like sync'ing your my docs folder to the server? it keeps an offline copy and then updates when you connect.

&$#*^$^%# PSTs!!

Comment

I'm noy 100% familiar with the details on GFI, one of our customers uses it but we use EV internally. With EV there is an option called offline vault for laptop users, I would expect GFI has a similar option.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
            X