X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook 2003. Difference in sizes of folder Local & Syst

To whom it may concern.
    Outlook 2003 with Exchange 2003.
    Why is there a difference when delivery mail to mailbox folder. When I view the properties of the mailbox folder in advanced & folder sizes, there are 2 tabs Local Data & Server Data these are not the same size R they not suppose to be the same as the local .ost is just a copy of what is on the server, not so ?. The server folder is larger than the local folder this is causing the user to get a mailbox size error from the server. I can increase the folder size but this does not solve the problem. Why do they not sync to the same size ?. I have delete some of the mails in all the folders to sync & reduce but is does not make much difference on the server side. I even compacted the .ost folder. ??
    Thanks.
    Charles Meyer.

OST file it is a file that you save in your local machine for the offline files you have selected. If you do not select all the items then the size will not be the same.
    MCSE w2k
    MCSA w2k - MCSA w2k MESSAGING
    MCDBA SQL2k

Comment

Size difference might also be attributed to slack space. If the workstation is formatted with FAT32 with 32k clusters and the Exchange Server is using 4k clusters then there will be a substantial size variation between the two for the exact same files in each.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I may be mistaken, but I believe that the 'Personal' folders are not sync'ed with the server so that would indicate a size difference.

Comment

Originally posted by mncoughlin
          I may be mistaken, but I believe that the 'Personal' folders are not sync'ed with the server so that would indicate a size difference.

If you want you can sync. your PST file.
          OST file it's different from PST file.
          MCSE w2k
          MCSA w2k - MCSA w2k MESSAGING
          MCDBA SQL2k

Comment

I learn something everytime I visit the site!

Comment

Outlook 2003. Difference in sizes of folder Local & Syst

Thanks Guys.
              How can I reduce the size of the Server data file ? Please note when delivering to Mailbox folder under folder sizes of the properties of the Mailbox there are 2 tabs at the top as indicated in the original message. Local data & Server data. Server data is at the pre-alocated size. Is there a way to compress/compact the Server data file ? (Exchange 2003).

Thanks.
              Charles.

Comment

Working...
              X