Outlook 2003 Blank Email Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook 2003 Blank Email Problem

HI. I encountered also the same problem others had.

When a client sends email out to a partner. Message body ends up blank.
    Message is sent as text/html. However I think there is difference between replying and making a new message.

I saw blank mail and saw messages headers. However HTML gets stripped off and plain text seems to remain in some cases. But client out get blank message body. I had a hunch it was due to anti virus software but it is not.

2 Changes were made on the system. Windows 2003 SBS was updated to SP2 and Exchange2000 was updated to SP2. It's older software but it does its job well. Because our users don't need much special functions etc from exchange. Simple but ok.

Now. Users copy text from firefox or IE and paste it to the outlook when making a new message or replying.

I reinstalled PCs. Made new profiles. Taken a look at exchange system manager for some settings. But nothing shows up.

The strange thing is also that BLANK email goes only to some domains. Not all.

Next I think it has to be with content type or something else similar. But still haven't found.

I tried Outlook 2003 Logging. But I did not get any results.

I am thinking about Outlook 2003 UPDATE.
    Clients are Running Windows XP SP2 (with updates).

Read a few forums but no solution yet. Only alternatives and I say lets get back to the stone age at plain text.

Re: Outlook 2003 Blank Email Problem

How do you know it isn't the AV?
    Have you uninstalled it from the server and clients?

I assume you mean Exchange 2003 not 2000 ?
    Make sure it is fully patched up via Microsoft (not windows) update as well.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
      How do you know it isn't the AV?
      Have you uninstalled it from the server and clients?

I assume you mean Exchange 2003 not 2000 ?
      Make sure it is fully patched up via Microsoft (not windows) update as well.
      I uninstalled NOD32 from the server and clients that send blank mail.
      Windows 2003 SBS is patched to SP2.

Yup Exchange2000. Patched to SP2. There is SP3, but I did not patch yet.

Comment

I think update would be the last solution for me.

Mostly I don't do updates that much because every time something changes. And it
        results in a bad way. So I am pretty scared of that. I don't wish to make it worse than it is.

I configured clients to send plain text mail for now.

In some cases HTML is needed. And I also added POP3 accounts with other internal SMTP server (with smarthost setup).

Comment

Hello.

Today we also tested plain text.

Some messages came out ok. Some reported blank.

Damm. This is really bad.

Comment

Hi,

You really shouldn't be running Exchange 2000 on SP2. There is SP3 plus a rollup etc. I would make that your first priority.

If this only affects certain external domains then I would see if there is also anything else between you and them. Do you send via a smarthost?
            cheers
            Andy

Comment

Hi,

You really shouldn't be running Exchange 2000 on SP2. There is SP3 plus a rollup etc. I would make that your first priority.

If this only affects certain external domains then I would see if there is also anything else between you and them. Do you send via a smarthost?
              Hi.
              Yes we got:
              Exchange 2000 Server Service Pack 3 1st

Exchange 2000 Server post-Service Pack 3 update rollup 2nd

Smarthost is used and setup in Default SMTP Virtual Server and Internet Mail SMTP Connector.

Strange thing is that this affects only a few email accounts. Active Directory is used. This problem does not affect the whole company. I really thought its permission based. But I did not find any special permissions to configure.

However before exchange was patched the trouble domains worked. All with default settings on all clients. We never had a problem that the other side was not receiving email.

Common problem was : spam and blacklisting.

However I did not mention that the reason because of all updates was Conficker.C worm.
              We had to clean all of our servers and client computers.

Side affects:
              -account lockouts - accounts are unlocked but seem to be grayed out most of them, but log on to them works.

-GPO (had to rebuild group policy, default settings)

Had no errors in logs or event viewer. Did I mention that I tried to trace this kind of error in DIAGNOSTIC LOGGING (exchange).

Comment

With a virus infection there is no way of 100% knowing everything is ok.

If everything is patched up to date now and NOD32 is up to date and finds nothing then I would still be tempted to scan with something else too.

If the emails are blank even when sending from OWA then it implies Exch is the issue, I don't believe permissions are causing this.
                cheers
                Andy

Comment

With a virus infection there is no way of 100% knowing everything is ok.
                  I agree on this.

If everything is patched up to date now and NOD32 is up to date and finds nothing then I would still be tempted to scan with something else too.
                  Scanned with a few AV software. MS MART, NOD32 removal tool, Symantec removal tool
                  Updates are not yet completed. Scheduled for 2 weeks. I am on vacation until 06.04.2009. Updated will be made when I come back.

If the emails are blank even when sending from OWA then it implies Exch is the issue, I don't believe permissions are causing this.
                  Well. I did not test this yet. However. I OWA I was able to see blank messages when sent using PHP (smtp in php). Message was sent using TRANSPORT. SMTPSVC did not log connections. I'll check this one more time.

Outlook is the primary application to all users.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X