Outlook randomly disconnects from Exchange

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook randomly disconnects from Exchange

I have a clustered Exchange 2007 environment serving Outlook 2007 clients. I have a group of users who are experiencing random disconnects from Exchange. This does not effect all domain users, only a small group who have no topographical relationship on the network (i.e. different segment, switch, etc) The users do not notice a general network outage, only Outlook being disonnected from Exchange. Closing and reopening Outlook seems to solve the immeidate problem.

I have not seen anything in either the cluster or CAS/HT event logs that are abnormal.

Advice?

Tony
    MCITP, MCTS, ITIL

Re: Outlook randomly disconnects from Exchange

Originally posted by Cowhow View Post
    I have a clustered Exchange 2007 environment serving Outlook 2007 clients. I have a group of users who are experiencing random disconnects from Exchange. This does not effect all domain users, only a small group who have no topographical relationship on the network (i.e. different segment, switch, etc) The users do not notice a general network outage, only Outlook being disonnected from Exchange. Closing and reopening Outlook seems to solve the immeidate problem.

I have not seen anything in either the cluster or CAS/HT event logs that are abnormal.

Advice?

Tony
    MCITP, MCTS, ITIL
    Are those users setup the same as others? e.g. Others are caching emails and they're not and vice versa?

Comment

The users are setup uniformly across campus. The only difference that may exist between them is that some who are experiencing disconnects are delegates of other accouts/calendars. Other than that it's pretty straightforward with Outlook 2007 in caching mode on a MS Vista OS.

Comment

The users are setup uniformly across campus. The only difference that may exist between them is that some who are experiencing disconnects are delegates of other accouts/calendars. Other than that it's pretty straightforward with Outlook 2007 in caching mode on a MS Vista OS.
        Is IP v6 disabled?

Comment

Not to my knowledge. However, i'll note here that a former staffer wasn't too "sympathetic" toward IPv6 and may have disabled it. That would be in item to verify. Between the problem being intermittent and users not really paying close attention, I'm having a hard time getting good information. But, from what I can tell either the users close Outlook or in some cases time takes care of it. But, as you mention IPv6 may be turned off on these boxes.

Comment

Not to my knowledge. However, i'll note here that a former staffer wasn't too "sympathetic" toward IPv6 and may have disabled it. That would be in item to verify. Between the problem being intermittent and users not really paying close attention, I'm having a hard time getting good information. But, from what I can tell either the users close Outlook or in some cases time takes care of it. But, as you mention IPv6 may be turned off on these boxes.
            It will be worth a check. I have come across issues with network capable software that has been effected by the fact IPv6 has been enabled.

Once disabled, the PC then requires a reboot. Let us know how you get on.

Comment

I'll check that out and let you know. Thanks for the advice.

Tony

Comment

make sure chimney (tcp offload) is disabled on client and server.

Comment

Working...
                X