winmail.dat ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winmail.dat ?

I'm in the middle of working on a project to bring our mail in house onto an exchange system. We're currently in a test cutover period, and certain people are using both the pre-existing SMTP/POP solution AND exchange.
    Anyone using both systems is using the Exchange server as the SMTP server, and using authentication to send email. I can see the emails in the tracking center, but that doesn't give me a lot of help.

My boss, who is one of the primary testers (it's good he's on board.. cause everyone else will follow when he mandates it )
    has noted the following error:

Occasionally, you receive an email from people (within the organisation) that has a winmail.dat attachment, instead of the attachment you expect to see. You then forward it on to a list, or another person, with comments, and they don't see your comments, but do see the earlier email trail, and the proper attachment, but not the winmail.dat file.

I've found a number of Knowledge Base articles about it, and I'm reading through all of thme.. but they mostly seem to refer to non-Outlook clients.. everyone within the organisation uses outlook 2007.

Any ideas on where else I can go to look at what's going on ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Re: winmail.dat ?

We had to add a reg key to fix this issue for us.

Let me try and dig it out for you and see if it helps.

Add this reg key, it says Exchnage 2000 but we needed to add it for Exchange 2003 (there is no mention of the Exchange version in your post)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/254089/
    Last edited by wullieb1; 13th March 2009, 02:14.

Comment

Sorry - you are correct.

Exchange 2003 (SBS03)
      'Outlook 2007.

This only seems to be happening when emails are sent from a couple of users though, and only if they are sending attachments.
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
        Sorry - you are correct.

Exchange 2003 (SBS03)
        'Outlook 2007.

This only seems to be happening when emails are sent from a couple of users though, and only if they are sending attachments.
        Honestly, try it.

We did and it cleared all our issues up after the SMTP service was restarted.

Comment

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...le+Search&meta=

This caused be so many problems 3 or 4 years ago but unfortunately we were the receiver and not the sender.

Have a look at the 2nd and 3rd links in the above search.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

but we are the receiver and the sender, and it's only happening when we send attachments.

One possible option we've done is to roll back thoe Outlook 2007 junk filter patch we applied...
            but i don't think it's this.

Basically, I send an email to a collegue, with a project document attached.
            He adds some comments to it, forwards it on to my boss.
            My boss gets an email with the winmail.dat file, but no project document.
            He adds some omre comments, namely "andy what the fxxk is causing this ?" and forwards it on to me.

I get the actual project document, but don't see his comments to me...

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
              but we are the receiver and the sender, and it's only happening when we send attachments.

One possible option we've done is to roll back thoe Outlook 2007 junk filter patch we applied...
              but i don't think it's this.

Basically, I send an email to a collegue, with a project document attached.
              He adds some comments to it, forwards it on to my boss.
              My boss gets an email with the winmail.dat file, but no project document.
              He adds some omre comments, namely "andy what the fxxk is causing this ?" and forwards it on to me.

I get the actual project document, but don't see his comments to me...
              I have had the same trouble as you recently with the winmail.dat attachment appearing for some recipients at one of the organisations we look after. I discovered it was mainly from 1 or 2 senders who were regularly sending them emails. I contacted thos senders and talked them through changing their settings in their Outlook address book for our contacts, so emails were sent as plain text.

This is another way of doing it in bulk.

http://email.about.com/od/outlooktips/qt/et121705.htm

You could try this in your organisation.

There is also file conversion software, freely available if you google search, that will allow you to convert the winmail.dat in to attachments. e.g. An email received had two attachments but 1 winmail.dat. I installed the conversion tool, dropped the winmail.dat file over it and then 'hey presto', two word documents appeared in the location of the program, both fully entact.

Comment

How many exchange servers are involved???

Comment

To expand on our issue a little bit:

I actually received one of these emails this morning. Our office administrator had copied some data from an Access Databse and pasted it into an email which she sent to me.
                  The email arrived as a plaintext email, with a winmail.dat file attached.

She was previously sending via our internet provider;'s SMTP gateway, so I changed and confirmed she was definitely sending via our SMTP server, and resent the email. Same thing.

So we re-opened the email, and before sending it again, went to the options tab, and ensured that HTML was selected for the format.

Same issue occured - I got a winmail.dat file.

And: my colleague has just deliberately sent me data copied and pasted from other office programmes, specifically formatted as RTF, and it has come through as we would expect without the winmail.dat file.

I have gone through ESM > Internet Message Format > Message Format and ensured that 'Exchange Rich-text format" is set to never use.

Our SMTP connector DOES use our internet provider as a smarthost.
                  I am considering reviewing this option and removing it to see if it assists.

Any other thoughts so far ?
                  I'd love to be able to convincingly say to my boss it's specificlaly related to the fact that some of us are running dual-email configurations and once we do a full cutover to exchange it won't happen.. but I'm not confident of this

Wullie - we have 1 exchange 2003 server (SBS03)

Comment

Interesting...

my apologies for creating an ongoing blog...

I'm using the OA's email account at the moment, and I confirmed my contact detail was "let outlook choose the best format"
                    I changed this to RTF, and resent the troublesome email, and it was received perfectly.

This is the one that came through ok:
                    Return-path: <[email protected]>
                    Received: from ozhmx1.ozhosting.com (unverified [203.30.164.229]) by OZHMAIL3.sprintwww.au (Vircom SMTPRS 4.4.568.77) with ESMTP id
                    <[email protected]> for <[email protected]>; Mon, 23 Mar 2009 15:35:06 +1100
                    X-Modus-BlackList: 203.30.164.229=OK;[email protected]=OK
                    X-Modus-Trusted: 203.30.164.229=YES
                    X-Modus-Audit: FALSE;0;0;0
                    Received: from ipmail04.adl2.internode.on.net (ipmail04.adl2.internode.on.net [203.16.214.57])by ozhmx1.ozhosting.com (Postfix) with
                    ESMTP id C0BE434A9Bfor <[email protected]>; Mon, 23 Mar 2009 15:34:38 +1100 (EST)
                    X-IronPort-Anti-Spam-Filtered: true
                    X-IronPort-Anti-Spam-Result: ArMEAIOrxkmWZZzo/2dsb2JhbACBT1kqizjCLII6gUQGhzg
                    X-IronPort-AV: E=Sophos;i="4.38,405,1233495000"; d="scan'208,217";a="334613826"
                    Received: from postman.ourcompany.com (HELO ourcompany.com.au) ([150.101.156.232]) by ipmail04.adl2.internode.on.net with ESMTP; 23
                    Mar 2009 15:04:11 +1030
                    Received: from MYRWSOA2 ([192.168.204.63]) by our-exchange.com.au with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.3959); Mon, 23 Mar 2009 15:34:10
                    +1100
                    From: "Kristina Someone (officeAdministrator)" <[email protected]>
                    To: <[email protected]>
                    References:
                    In-Reply-To:
                    Subject: RE: MYR: Timesheet Adjustments
                    Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 15:34:23 +1100
                    Message-ID: <0[email protected]>
                    MIME-Version: 1.0
                    Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
                    boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0016_01C9ABCC.D7F1DCC0"
                    X-Mailer: Microsoft Office Outlook 12.0
                    thread-index: AcmrSL0ipLjt49mLQgio6l5TFo7AKgAAy1ZwAACz+0AACHe10A ==
                    Content-Language: en-au
                    X-OriginalArrivalTime: 23 Mar 2009 04:34:10.0372 (UTC) FILETIME=[9C4C9040:01C9AB70]
                    X-SCA-Stop: [cust-F83026C4BD4141A4887BD0BBDBD7D3D2,1,39,0]
                    the broken one looks like this:
                    Return-path: <[email protected]>
                    Received: from ozhmx0.ozhosting.com (unverified [203.30.164.223]) by OZHMAIL3.sprintwww.au (Vircom SMTPRS 4.4.568.77) with ESMTP id
                    <[email protected]> for <Andrew.sp,[email protected]>; Mon, 23 Mar 2009 15:29:05 +1100
                    X-Modus-BlackList: 203.30.164.223=OK;[email protected]=OK
                    X-Modus-Trusted: 203.30.164.223=YES
                    X-Modus-Audit: FALSE;0;0;0
                    Received: from ipmail04.adl2.internode.on.net (ipmail04.adl2.internode.on.net [203.16.214.57])by ozhmx0.ozhosting.com (Postfix) with
                    ESMTP id 9E4523404Cfor <[email protected]>; Mon, 23 Mar 2009 15:29:05 +1100 (EST)
                    X-IronPort-Anti-Spam-Filtered: true
                    X-IronPort-Anti-Spam-Result: AqwEAIOrxkmWZZzo/2dsb2JhbACBT4w7wiyCOoFEBg
                    X-IronPort-AV: E=Sophos;i="4.38,405,1233495000"; d="dat'59?scan'59,208,59";a="334609264"
                    Received: from postman.something-it.com (HELO .com.au) ([150.101.156.232]) by ipmail04.adl2.internode.on.net with ESMTP; 23
                    Mar 2009 14:58:38 +1030
                    Received: from MYRWSOA2 ([192.168.204.63]) by something-it.com.au with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.3959); Mon, 23 Mar 2009 15:28:37
                    +1100
                    From: "Kristina someone(Office Administrator)" <[email protected]>
                    To: "'Andrew someone" <[email protected]>
                    Subject: FW: MYR: Timesheet Adjustments
                    Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 15:28:45 +1100
                    Message-ID: <[email protected]>
                    MIME-Version: 1.0
                    Content-Type: multipart/mixed;
                    boundary="----=_NextPart_000_000D_01C9ABCC.11D01F20"
                    X-Mailer: Microsoft Office Outlook 12.0
                    thread-index: AcmrSL0ipLjt49mLQgio6l5TFo7AKgAAy1ZwAACz+0AACEULMA ==
                    Content-Language: en-au
                    X-MS-TNEF-Correlator: 00000000A50B8A25BF91EC4B8DC5D021FFD30190070030FC26 0C547F434C8A7D2BC819DE7BF800000005C4DD00002F9345ED 2F9ABB4
                    3866DADD221F13E290000061308320000
                    X-OriginalArrivalTime: 23 Mar 2009 04:28:37.0982 (UTC) FILETIME=[D62DDFE0:01C9AB6F]
                    X-SCA-Stop: [cust-F83026C4BD4141A4887BD0BBDBD7D3D2,1,39,0]
                    If this helps anyone at all.. then great..
                    Last edited by tehcamel; 24th April 2009, 06:36.

Comment

I found a fix. I tracked it down to the .nk2 file on the sending machines. Potentially this file has been carried forward from prior versions of outlook, or brought over from migrated systems (xp - vista upgrades, etc). On the sending machines, you can delete .nk2 files and have them re-populate correctly, or you can have the sender just remove the entries for receivers complaining of the winmail.dat attachments. It came down to this. If the autocomplete entry in the nk2 file is “common name” "<email address> for example Ted Jones [email protected] it will send all emails to a receiving ex2k7 server as text with winmail.dat. If you delete the entry (start typing the email address, select the entry you want to delete and press delete key) and then type it in directly it will re-populate the nk2 file with what the ex2k7 server likes - an nk2 file with only the email address in the autocomplete field (no common name) - example: [email protected].
                      You can view the nk2 files with this utility http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/outlook...ocomplete.html
                      I tested on two outside sources where they started sending in winmail.dat files after our migration to exchange 2007 (problem did not exist on ex 2003 server).

Comment

thanks for your sugggestin and feedback, and for digging the thread.

It makes it a good time to state the following

I'm almost 100% certain it was not related to our exchange environment. The moment we did the full cutover, it started working completely and perfectly as expected.

Comment

Just in case anyone is interested and has not solved this one yet .

I went through a migration from Exch 5.5 and Exch 2000 on separate domains to a full 2003 Clustered environment a few years back .

Part of this solution was to migrate ALL users to outlook 2003 SP2 on XP SP2.

The odd thing is after the migration completed I was still getting internal and external winmail.dat errors on mails with attachments.

The resolution turned out to be the anti virus scanner for Exchange which was running on each clustered node. It was an error which required a hotfix from the supplier. The issue was that when attachments were scanned , the AV engine was appending its own characters inside the attachment and causing Outlook to no longer understand them hence the ".dat" Attachment.

Posting this as it caused me grief for months so I hope it helps someone

... My first post.

Comment

Working...
                          X