Re: Article - Configure RPC over HTTP/S Client

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Article - Configure RPC over HTTP/S Client

Thanks for the very helpful step-by-step guide and all the detailed information.

Excuse me if I missed it in your article, but I havn't found anything mentioned about the following which I found in:

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/outlookrpchttp.html

"It is important to note that you must create the Outlook 2003 profile while the Outlook 2003 computer is on the internal network, or while the Outlook 2003 computer is on the Internet and can access the Exchange Server using RPC (TCP 135 – typically through an ISA Server 2000 secure Exchange RPC Publishing rule). You will not be able to create a new profile or change an existing profile to use RPC over HTTP if is does not have access to the Exchange Server via RPC (TCP 135)."

"This bears repeating: you will not be able to create a new Outlook profile when the Outlook client is not on the internal network and can access the Exchange Server using RPC via TCP 135. In addition, a user with an existing profile will not be able to alter the existing profile so that it can use RPC over HTTP if that client is not located on the internal network and can access the Exchange Server using TCP 135. The Outlook 2003 profile must be configured to use RPC over HTTP while that machine is connected to the internal network and can access the Exchange Server via TCP port 135."

just thought it worth mentioning.

YosiNYC

Interesting. I beg to differ, and as a proof I am currently using OL in an RPC over HTTP profile for a mailbox hosted on an EXTERNAL provider's hosted Exchange account. So, do you think I took my laptop all the way to the USA just to connect it to their network?

Not.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Don't see the issue. The first part of the quote specifically says you can be external to the network and set up the profile as long as you have RPC access to the exchange server. Maybe they were confused when writing the 2nd part, as it seems to go against the 1st part.
      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I would concur with Daniel -- I have talked users in remote sites through setting up Outlook Profiles using RPC/HTTPS on Outlook 2003, and have not had problems with them picking up the Exchange Server.

Note also the date of the article (2004-2006) and they say:
        Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule. The article Configuring Outlook 2003 for RPC over HTTP indicates that you should be able to use the Office Resource Kit to configure an Outlook 2003 profile that allows access to the RPC over HTTP severs without requiring RPC access to the Exchange Server. We have not tested this configuration.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for clarifying. It's not my place to challenge, especially when this is my first time setting this up. I came across it because I took my laptop home which has my office profile. When I tested my first RPC implementation with a new profile it didn't work, when I updated my existing office profile with the RPC settings it worked.

I agree with you 100%. If I needed to get all the remote users in-house from all over the US, it wouldn't be so easy to do nor productive for any future updates.

Do I need to open 135 on my firewall or is this article just outdated?

Thank you for your time and help.

YosiNYC

Comment

RPC/HTTPS requires port 443 open. It shouldnt require 80 but I always tend to open them as a mating pair so I cant say it definitely doesnt
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Working...
            X