Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

“Send on Behalf” places items in my sent box, it should go into the second sent box

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• “Send on Behalf” places items in my sent box, it should go into the second sent box

Hi everyone,

I send out emails on the behalf of another user, the problem is it goes into my sent box not the user sent box.

I found this link below but it rely's on me putting something in the subject field every time I send an email. Does anyone knows any tricks how to achieve this?

http://telnetport25.wordpress.com/20...than-the-from/

Re: “Send on Behalf” places items in my sent box, it should go into the second sent b

So - you're complaining that when YOU SEND something on behalf of someone else, it goes in YOUR SENT box? Why on earth would it go in the other user's sent box, when YOU sent it?!

Just make sure you copy in the person you're sending on behalf of...

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Re: “Send on Behalf” places items in my sent box, it should go into the second sent b

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
      So - you're complaining that when YOU SEND something on behalf of someone else, it goes in YOUR SENT box? Why on earth would it go in the other user's sent box, when YOU sent it?!

Just make sure you copy in the person you're sending on behalf of...

Your very blunt the way you talk.

I've been doing that but I guess it can't be done.

Comment

Originally posted by Shazam
        Your very blunt the way you talk
        Please do not confuse blunt with how Tom is trying to clarify what you are doing and how you are trying to achieve your aim.

You could try creating a Rule to achieve what you want.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

How and why on Earth would it go into the other user's Sent Items folder? they're not sending it, you are. you're sending it on behalf of the other user. This is not a flaw in Exchange, this is pure technical logic. If I drop a dress off at the dry cleaners for my wife, the clerk gives me the receipt.

Comment

It looks like a rule won't work in this case and the only way is going to work is using a third party software. I found the answer of the link below.

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=23808

Thanks!

Comment

Shazam,

Too bad there isn't a native option in Exchange, but thanks for posting that link! I thought the other answers were very short sighted (and almost mean spirited) as you posted a very valid scenario. We have several (50+) "generic" shared mailboxes across our org such as website contacts, customer service, sales teams, etc. We would love to have replies from those mailboxes saved in the shared sent items folder so others could review if necessary. I find it hard to believe that more people don't have a need for this...

Btw, in your wordpress link someone has since posted a script that may work. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks promising.

Comment

Originally posted by midmo View Post
                Shazam,

Too bad there isn't a native option in Exchange, but thanks for posting that link! I thought the other answers were very short sighted (and almost mean spirited) as you posted a very valid scenario. We have several (50+) "generic" shared mailboxes across our org such as website contacts, customer service, sales teams, etc. We would love to have replies from those mailboxes saved in the shared sent items folder so others could review if necessary. I find it hard to believe that more people don't have a need for this...

Btw, in your wordpress link someone has since posted a script that may work. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks promising.
                There wont ever be as this is by design in Exchange 2003. Even with Exchange 2007 AFAIK the transport rules wont allow you to do that either.

Comment

Originally posted by midmo View Post
                  Shazam,

I totally agree with you for word for word.

I tried the VBA code that was posted to link and it works great, For me at least. I'm using Outlook 2007 SP2

Here is the code;

Make sure to replace the "SharedMailBoxName" with your shared mail box in your outlook.

in outlook open the vb editor with ALT+F11
                  in the upper left pane doubleclick the thissession object
                  paste this code

Code:
                  Private SentEntryID As String
                  Private SentStoreID As String
                  Private WithEvents objSentItems As Items
                  Private MailItem As Outlook.MailItem

Public Sub Application_Startup()
                  'Retrieve ID for accessing non-default sent folder
                  getStoreFolderID ("Mailbox - SharedMailboxName")
                  Set objSentItems = Application.Session.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderSentMail).Items
                  End Sub

Function getStoreFolderID(StoreName)
                  'Gets the Shared Account Sent Folder
                  Dim Store As Object
                  Dim StoreFolder As Object
                  Dim i As Integer
                  Set Store = Application.GetNamespace("MAPI").Folders
                  For Each StoreFolder In Store
                  If StoreFolder.Name = StoreName Then
                  For i = 1 To StoreFolder.Folders.Count
                  If StoreFolder.Folders(i).Name = "Sent Items" Then
                  SentEntryID = StoreFolder.Folders(i).EntryID
                  SentStoreID = StoreFolder.Folders(i).StoreID
                  Exit For
                  End If
                  Next
                  Exit For
                  End If
                  Next
                  Set Store = Nothing
                  Set StoreFolder = Nothing
                  End Function

Private Sub objSentItems_ItemAdd(ByVal Item As Object)
                  'Fired when something is added to personal "Sent Mail" folder
                  If TypeOf Item Is Outlook.MailItem Then
                  With Item
                  Set MailItem = Application.GetNamespace("mapi").GetItemFromID(.EntryID, .Parent.StoreID)
                  End With
                  If MailItem.SenderName = "SharedMailboxName" Then
                  Set DestinationFolder = Application.Session.GetFolderFromID(SentEntryID, SentStoreID)
                  MailItem.Move (DestinationFolder)
                  End If
                  End If
                  Set MailItem = Nothing
                  End Sub
                  Last edited by Shazam; 15th July 2009, 23:12.

Comment

Originally posted by Shazam View Post
                    I totally agree with you for word for word.

I tried the VBA code that was posted to link and it works great, For me at least. I'm using Outlook 2007 SP2

Here is the code;

Make sure to replace the "SharedMailBoxName" with your shared mail box in your outlook.

in outlook open the vb editor with ALT+F11
                    in the upper left pane doubleclick the thissession object
                    paste this code
                    Thats a great script. Unfortunately the variable MailItem.SenderName returns the primary user and not the address of the "behalf of" user. This means the script does not run. Are you on Exchange 2003 or 2007? I use Exchange 2007 with Outlook 2007 SP2.

- And by the way. I have several times come across this being a problem. When a company have an account like [email protected] they want all the people using this mailbox to see the complete history. Why there is no rules for this is very strange and dissapointing.

/C

Comment

Okay. Found a small bug in the script above:

You should change:
                      If MailItem.SenderName = "SharedMailboxName" Then

to

If SentOnBehalfOfName = "SharedMailboxName" Then

For trouble shooting you can put the following in the line above "If SentOnBefa....."

MsgBox SentOnBefhalfOfName

This will show what Outlook outputs and what you should put in "SharedMailboxName".

Great script by the way!

Comment

Microsoft finally released a fix for this over the summer. I just found it last week, since I've been creating more shared mailboxes lately.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972148/

Article ID: 972148 - Last Review: July 1, 2009 - Revision: 1.0
                        When you send an e-mail message from a shared mailbox in Outlook 2007, the sent message is not saved in the Sent Items folder of the shared mailbox

. . . . .

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ ) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

To resolve this problem, install the Outlook 2007 hotfix package that is dated June 30, 2009 and then set the value for the DelegateSentItemsStyle registry entry to enable the hotfix package. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Install the Outlook 2007 hotfix package that is dated June 30, 2009. For more information about this hotfix package, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 970944 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/970944/ ) Description of the Outlook 2007 hotfix package (Outlook.msp): June 30, 2009

2. Set the value for the DelegateSentItemsStyle registry entry to enable the hotfix. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.

2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\O utlook\Preferences

3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.

4. Type DelegateSentItemsStyle, and then press ENTER.

5. Right-click DelegateSentItemsStyle, and then click Modify.

6. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.

7. Exit Registry Editor.

No such fix is available for Outlook 2003, which reached its end of Mainstream Support on April 14, 2009. Security fixes will still be available, but no non-security Hot Fixes.
                        Last edited by Robert R.; 2nd September 2009, 21:22.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert R. View Post
                          No such fix is available for Outlook 2003, which reached its end of Mainstream Support on April 14, 2009. Security fixes will still be available, but no non-security Hot Fixes.
                          Microsoft posted a Hotfix for Office 2003 witch also will be available in SP4: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/959628
                          You have to install the hotfix and create a registry key named delegatesentitemsstyle in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\O utlook\Preferences

I've tested it and it works great!! No need for VBA code anymore!

EDITED BY WULLIEB1 - Link does not related to the original question asked. Link removed.
                          EDITED BY Johandezwaan - Sorry for the lack of comment with the link. Placed link and comment
                          Last edited by Johandezwaan; 19th February 2010, 09:20. Reason: Not related to original post

Comment

Working...
                          X