No announcement yet.

can you stop re-downloading pop email?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can you stop re-downloading pop email?

We have a number of users (including execs) who use Outlook with Exchange for their main business email (call it Co. 1), and pop3 for email from another company they own (call it Co. 2). We are in the process of upgrading Co. 2 from an old server using Exchange 2003 to a new one using Exchange 2007. In our testing, we're finding that when the account gets moved to the new server, their Outlook clients re-download all the email. Is there any way to stop this from occurring? I've thought of moving everything in their inbox to a subfolder, since pop will only download the inbox itself. But once we move it back to the inbox after it's been moved, won't that make it start downloading again anyway?

Thanks.

Re: can you stop re-downloading pop email?

The situation implies that it's a download once, but leave on server scenario. Any reason they're left on the Co. 2's server?
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Since you're using Exchange, why don't you stop using POP to collect the email and use Outlook in native Exchange mode.

Comment

Wired - company policy is that all email must remain on the server, plus they also use OWA occasionally so they need it to stay on the server.

Comment

As stated, they're already using Outlook with Exchange for Co. 1.

Comment

Again, why not use Outlook with Exchange the way it was intended: natively. No POP, no IMAP, etc., etc.

Comment

So you're saying that they have one Outlook profile that has an Exchange account for Company 1 and a POP account for Company 2?

Comment

b/c you can't use Outlook with 2 exchange accounts. They also have to have this using one mail profile.

Comment

Would OWA not be preferable then? If your users must insist on using Outlook, then try IMAP instead.
                  Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

OK, now I get it.

Comment

Yes, I'd love for them to use OWA regularly. But they are the execs of the company, and are the type that insist that everything work the way they want it. We tried them using IMAP, but they didn't like it.

Comment

Then all you can do is present their options to them: either experience the current issue using a protocol which has been superceded, or switch to a more appropriate (in my opinion) option. Let's face it - the main reason that they wouldn't have liked IMAP before is that it was different to what they're used to. There would have been a time when the same was true for POP - they got used to that, they can get used to IMAP.
                        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I agree, and was mainly just seeing if there was any way to avoid it. Outlook itself isn't the only issue, I'm pretty sure that their Blackberries, which also go to the same server, are likely to do the same thing.

Comment

Naturally though, if you tell them what the situation is, they won't listen to you. They want to pay a consultant 5k to come in and tell instead. They feel like they get better value for money if they have to pay for the advice
                            Gareth Howells

Comment

An alternate option would be to give them two Outlook profiles, one for each company. That way they can both be on Exchange. Bit of a pain going back and forth, but their policies will remain intact.
                              ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                              X