Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Use pst on 2 outlooks in the same time..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use pst on 2 outlooks in the same time..

Hi all,

I have this problem , and I am sure many others has it..

I want to use my PST from two diffrent PCs..
    The thing is, as far as I know , you can't work on PST from two diffrent computers at the same time..

Is there any solution for this kind of problem?

Thank you all!

Re: Use pst on 2 outlooks in the same time..

Yes, don't use POP, use IMAP. If the server is Exchange then use MAPI or RPC over HTTP.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the answer..

But can you please explain why it will work? I mean why in this case I can work on the PST from both machines?

And how do I use MAPI? where do I define it? (My mail box is on an exchange server).

Thanks again!

Comment

As far as I am aware, once a PST file is opened for read/write (which is what Outlook does) then it is locked open by that instance of Outlook and cannot be opened by a second instance. I have never seen a PST file successfully used simultaneously by two clients.

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

So basiclly you are telling me there is no solution for such case?

Let me explain farther maybe there is other solution.

I have some rules on my work pc that send specific mails to the pst, the thing is I want to be able to work with thos mails at home.

And lets say I will move some mails from home to the PST, I want to be able to work on those mails back at work.

Basiclly what I need is a way to work in a synchronic way..

Thanks!

Comment

You cannot do what you want to do with a PST. Keep the mail in your mailbox and access at home via a protocol that does not remove the email from your box upon accessing the email. In otherwords, IMAP, RPC over HTTP, WEBMAIL, etc.

Only other option would be to keep the PST on a portable storage device, and take it back and forth. How BIG of a PST are we talking about here?
            ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Naa, I don't think it would be so efficient...

It is around 600MB, and I have anouther on 300MB.

I tought about this solution:

put the pst on the shared network device, and access it via 2 PC's,
              now on each pc I will have a script that kill the outlook process on the other computer, this way just one outlook will be active each time.

The thing is I wanted other solution, and not to go round and round...

Comment

That's the other problem of course; PST files cease to be of any practical use above half a gig in size... although the physical limit to their size is 2Gb. Half a gig for a busy mailbox (150 mails per day?) will last you at the absolute maximum 3 months.

They are also widely known to be unreliable, slow and dangerous for important data.

You really, REALLY need to find an alternative solution. Exchange 2003 and 2007's Web Mail offerings are really quite something - especially 2007.

Tom
                For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Agreed. In what sense is IMAP or OWA less efficient than lugging a PST around?
                  Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Ahhh, I wish I could...

The thing is I have a limited size mailbox..300MB.

I cannot use it to store all my mails..This why I use PST..unfotunately!

Comment

But do you need to store all your email?
                      I've a mailbox which is limited to 100MB and it's still enough.
                      Marcel
                      Technical Consultant
                      Netherlands
                      http://www.phetios.com
                      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

First you mentioned connecting to a PST via 2 PCs at home, then you said one was at work, then one at home. Which scenario is it?

Also, I wouldn't recommend killing the Outlook process. Bad way to disconnect from a file.

Have you thought about remoting into the desktop from home?

Also, how much control do you have over the Exchange server? You could give yourself a bigger mailbox...
                        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

This is what Microsoft has to offer: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=164407 . Not much.
                          I see two options as for now:
                          1) use Remote Desktop from home to connect to the office computer and work on the same Outlook;
                          2) move the intended e-mails from the mailbox to the PST once a week (or when it gets too crowded) and take a copy of that PST home. This way, you'll have all the materials you need. This is what I did until I started working through RDP.

Originally posted by stonelaughter View Post
                          PST files cease to be of any practical use above half a gig in size
                          Not from my experience... Problems started in my enterprise wen the PST reached 1.6-1.8GB.
                          Originally posted by stonelaughter View Post
                          physical limit to their size is 2Gb
                          That was true for versions of Outlook up to Outlook XP (2002). Starting Outlook 2003, maximum size of PST file is 2TB (IIRC). One can limit that to less, though, if needed.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                          -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                            use Remote Desktop from home to connect to the office computer and work on the same Outlook
                            Best solution really. For security (and simplicity), I'd opt for connecting via VPN rather than port forwarding to the workstation.
                            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
                              That's the other problem of course; PST files cease to be of any practical use above half a gig in size... although the physical limit to their size is 2Gb.
                              FYI. Outlook 2003 PST can hold 20GB and from info gleened from Sembee, keep file numbers below 5,000 in each folder in the PST.

Unless Sembee or Daniel have some slick tricks, Exchange (or some other mail server) seems to be the best solution.
                              1 1 was a racehorse.
                              2 2 was 1 2.
                              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                              X