• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook 2003 not connecting the Exchange 2003

Win 2003 Server (no SP1) DC

Win 2003 Server (no SP1) running Exchange 2003 SP1

Client XP SP2, Outlook 2003 SP1

Internal network, no VPN. All other clients connect to the Exchange server without any problems. This includes my Notebook running XP SP2 and Outlook 2003 SP1 that I presently use to access email. OWA works without problems.

Outlook had been connecting and syncing with Exchange for 11 days. Then it went Offline and displayed the imaged error when trying to connect to the Exchange server. No combination of Username and Password will effect a connection. Even though it says Sending is Completed, nothing is sent. (Outbox still contains 1 item)

The client had a clean install of XP and Office 2003 just 11 days previous to the problem appearing. This same problem happened 2 to 3 weeks after changing motherboards due to its failure. A clean install was also made then with SP2 being installed on XP. Prior to that, Outlook had run for over 3 months on XP SP1 with no problems.

I have read the 616 Google entries for the 0x8004011D error as well as an additional 25 posts on http://www.officekb.com about this same error and tried any fixes that looked like they might apply to this problem. Turned Cache off/on, modified HOSTS., change authentication method and a couple of others that I have forgotten now.

I have also tried reinstalling Outlook but was unable to Add new account to Exchage Server. When trying to Check Name, Exchange server was not found. (That's when I reinstalled everything on the client clean). System Restore Points had been trashed (couldn't roll back to before problem) so Spybot and Ad-Aware were run with nothing showing up except the usual rubbish. Anti-virus is Symantec 9.0 with Exchange Auto Protect enabled.

Now I am stuffed. Any ideas?

1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

You ain't going to believe this.....I didn't.

I ticked User Identification (Always prompt for username and password), closed Outlook and entered the Username and Password when it started (and ticked the Remember my password option). After it synchronised, I removed the User Identification tick and restarted Outlook. Connection still worked. I still can't work out why is lost authentication with the Exchange Server.

1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Re: Outlook 2003 not connecting the Exchange 2003

Hi Biggles, just read your post on Outlook problem but can't seem to find the window that you illustrate 'Microsoft Exchange Server'. Where's it located?

Yours Lalitavira

Comment

It is in Outlook,
        Tools
        Email Accounts
        View or Change existing accounts
        Next
        Change
        More Settings
        Security

I think your confusion may have been that the Microsoft Exchange Server on the windows refers to the email account and not the location of where the windows is.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

wow you are 100% correct, it works fine, why the hell does changing the authentiation method fix the unable to connect problem.

Ahh well, welcome to the MS world of bugs

usrhlp

Comment

I am pleased the fix also worked for you.

Also, a HUGE Congratulations for searching for a solution to your problem, finding it AND posting that the fix work before creating a new Topic. Very well done!!! You deserve !!!!
            Last edited by biggles77; 26th October 2006, 04:46. Reason: Grammer
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
            X