Outlook 2007 RPC will not connect on 2008 Terminal Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook 2007 RPC will not connect on 2008 Terminal Server

Hello all. I've been trying to research this issue and am getting nowhere. I had a case with MS but they discovered we are running on VMware and they will provide no further support.

I have a Hosted Exchange system with clients sucessfully connecting to us via RPC over Http. I have a new client where we already have multiple standalone XP and Vista systems connecting back to Us. Where i am having issues is on an ESX 3i host with 4 Guests, all server 2008. One is running Terminal Sever 08, as well as a volume license copy of Office 2007. I can configure an Outlook profile to connect via rpc with no problem, but when i attempt to open outlook using /rpcdiag, the system connects but will never open tyhe Mail folders. I receive the vague "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. Microsoft Exchange is not available. Either there are network problems or the Exchange computer is down for maintenance". Not much help, as everything else is working. Help will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Outlook 2007 RPC will not connect on 2008 Terminal Server

Have you done the basics? Checked firewalls, dns etc Can you ping the server by name? Is everything patched? Any AV in the way?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Cannot ping, as the Exchange farm is behind a NAT firewall. As i said though, other clients at that same site connect and work fine. The only problem is that the 2008 Terminal Server sessions won't open the mailbox, though they will open the RPC connection as verified in outlook.exe /rpcdiag.

Comment

How about OWA -- any problems with that?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

OWA and everything else is fine.

Comment

Might be worth running up Wireshark to see what is happening.
            cheers
            Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

While I don't believe that Microsoft do not support running Outlook on a TS platform, there are a number of limitations - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc179161.aspx

This doesn't include connecting to Exchange though.
              Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I know this is an older thread.

I am having a similar problem, but interestingly enough it only occurs for me.

Here are the details:

I have a windows Server 2008 Terminal Server 32 bit with Outlook 2007 installed

I have a Windows Server 2008 64bit server Running Exchange 2007.

Both servers are in the same location.

When I logon to the terminal server. I can browse to the exchange server, \\EXCHSRVR and receive a listing of shares folders, etc. I can ping both ways. I can do name resolution. When anyone else logs onto the terminal server and opens Outlook 2007 the autoconfig configures the client and life is happy. when I do it the system asks for me to login, then gives the same messages that started this thread.

I have another windows server 2008 32 bit terminal server running outlook 2003 which doesn't have any problems.

The terminal server was 64bit and one point and my account had the exact same problem, while none else did. I blew out the server and recreated it as 32bit, and immediately upon getting it running the administrator account worked, the test user worked, but my account did not.

I thought it might be security issues. But users with Less security don't have a problem and the administrator account doesn't have a problem. My account is not an administator.

Also using the Administrator account I used the "Test E-Mail Autoconfiguration" with my account settings and the results are identical to other accounts.

Comment

Working...
                X