Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable...

Hello everyone,

We are having some problems with connecting Outlook 2007 to an Exchange 2003 server - when we try to set up a user's Outlook profile on their new computer we're getting the same "The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action" error message.

To summarise what we have already ruled out:

* Not the computer - we have tried installing Office 2007 on a different computer with different hardware, same error
    * Not the TCP/IP settings - default gateway, DNS, everything, all correct
    * Not the ethernet floor socket - tried in various locations aroung building which we know work
    * Server can be pinged from machine in question
    * Not the user profile - does the same thing with whatever profile you use

Also interesting are that Outlook itself can figure out the Exchange server's name, but cannot "Check Name" of the user - and that Outlook 2007 and Exchange 2003 are working together in harmony on every machine I've set up before.

Would anyone be able to assist us please?

Re: The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable...

What about a different user account on the same PC?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

A quick returned quite a lot of results
      Have a look especially at this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927481

Ta
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far. To Ossian, the same error occurs with any user account (be they administrator level or standard level). When we set up another machine to test with, which was a different model, with a fresh install of Windows XP SP2 and Office 2007, it did the same, with any user we tried.

And L4ndy, have seen this KB article in my trawls - problem being is that that value does not exist in that location in the registry. When I browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\O utlook\AutoDiscover in regedit, all I find are REG_SZ values, named after various websites.

Comment

Hi,

Have you tried any other solutions also ? http://www.google.co.uk/search?
          Out of curiosity, I know you mentioned user profiles in there but Have you deleted any existing outlook profiles?

Cheers
          Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Are you using the automatic or manual configuration in Outlook? For Outlook 2007 connecting to Exchange 2003 you should use the manual configuration.

Comment

We had a look through yesterday and deleted any redundant accounts, leaving us with 209 mailboxes.

I've tried using manual configuration but get no further. Outlook can see there is an Exchange server there, as it populates the Server Name box. It just won't let me get any further than that - is there a limit to the number of mailboxes Exchange Server 2003 (standard) can handle???

Comment

Originally posted by PressR1ForLoops View Post
                is there a limit to the number of mailboxes Exchange Server 2003 (standard) can handle???
                I don't believe so. I assume you already know about the maximum size limit for the Information Store.
                Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

So having spent way too many hours over the past week and having read as many forum posts as I could find in google and having none of the solutions work for my situation:

Windows 7 - Outlook 2007 - Exchange 2007 - Server 2003 using rpc over http w/ basic authentication

I finally uninstalled office2k7, installed office2k3, connected (took 1/2 second), let the folders sync, upgraded to office 2k7 and finally have success.

Hope this saves others from similar frustration and wasted time.

-Ron

Comment

Same issue here on some of our computers.
                    It's strange as this has never been an issue until last week...

As I haven't found out why this happens yet, I have been forced to find a temporary solution.

I just set up the e-mail account to use Cached Exchange Mode,
                    Then I enabled Outlook Anywhere (Connect to Microsoft Exchange using HTTP).

Once that's enabled and properly configured with my OWA server, the mails poured in and outlook worked.
                    I then disabled cached mode and it still works.

Comment

One question. Does your exchange server also act as an RRAS(Routing and Remote Access Server)? This was killing me until I realized that my Exchange box is Server 08 SBS and as such all the roles are on one server. When I enabled RRAS and allowed users to connect from home is when the issue started. This happens since it adds DNS entries for the DHCP address assigned to RRAS clients. Each DNS entry points to the name of the exchange box(domain controller/RRAS)

Comment

Daniel, since you're using SBS, did you UTFW to make your changes? If you had problems then I'm guessing probably not...
                        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
                        X