No announcement yet.

More on missing messages

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More on missing messages

I posted a message about a week ago regarding messages not reaching their intended recipient and getting "stuck" in the categorizer. There's a new development that may indicate a bug in Exchange 2003. Or, possibly a bug in Outlook 2003. The problem continues and the common thread with all the emails getting lost is that the subject line is blank. In fact, I had the problem user (s) send two identical emails. One had a subject line and the other one had a blank subject line. The one with the subject line went through. The one with a blank subject line did not. Has anyone ever run into this????

Below is a portion of my original post:

Exchange 2003 Enterprise edition

I've had several incidents where mail was stuck in the categorizer. Mail was sent internally and externally. I checked the Message Tracking Center and the following was showing on the messages in question:

SMTP: Message Submitted to Advanced Queuing
    SMTP: Started Message Submission to Advanced Queue
    SMTP: Message Submitted to Categorizer

I found it

There's a bug in Symantec Mail Security for Exchange v. 4.x which will delete a message with a blank subject line even if filtering is disabled. This is especially hard to track because SMS doesn't log it. This bug is confirmed by Symantec.

Thanks for posting back with the reason for your problem. It is greatly appreciated.
      Departed: 23rd December 2015