Outlook 2003 Shared Contacts Not Accessible in To Field

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook 2003 Shared Contacts Not Accessible in To Field

I have an address book that has about 700 entries and want to share with my entire work group (3 other users). I gave 2 of them Reviewer permission, and 1 Owner permission. When they click on the To field in a new message, the particular Contact folder doesn't show. However, when not in a new message, they are able to click on the Contacts to view all details.

Re: Outlook 2003 Shared Contacts Not Accessible in To Field

try pressing the little address button at the top (it's a picture of a book) or pressing control+alt+b
    then choose tools>options and choose in there which things u want to display first.
    Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
    I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
    MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

The other users don't see the address book when they click on the icon/To button in new message, so I don't think they'll get the choice to reorder, do you?

Comment

Sorry I misread at first...

But you ask a really good question.

The way i'd normally do it is just save the contacts from the other persons shared contacts to my own.

700 would be too much to do that with.

Here is what i did to get round it. (using outlook 2007)
        Created a new pst folder, saved it on a shared area
        in outlook, right click contacts>copy>copy to new pst folder.
        Renamed them to 'Contacts - Joe'
        then removed the pst via file>datafile management >data file>remove.
        -------
        On other pc open outlook.
        file>data file management>add in the pst with the copied contacts.
        on the pst right click 'contacts - joe' > copy contacts move to inbox
        then in folder list go to contacts-joe' right click>properties>outlook address book tab>check 'show this folder as an e-mail address book'

when he clicks new mail>To> Address book> it will display there, you can also use my below method to customise it so that the new added address book shows first.

then remove the pst from outlook and delete it off the shared area.

There is probibaly a much easier way to do it than that, but it worked fine for me.
        If u find a faster way, let me know.
        Last edited by uk_network; 21st October 2008, 22:43.
        I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,

Comment

We have Outlook 2003, but hopefully it will work the same. I'll get back with you once I try it. Thanks for your help.
          Last edited by dchoban; 27th October 2008, 11:30. Reason: I put the wrong version of Outlook

Comment

@uk_network

would you please explain your steps more detailled. Because I did not understand what to do.
            thank you soooo much

Comment

This is what happened when I followed the steps:

1. Created the pst on owner computer.
              2. Went through process...
              a. saved new address book list on each computer (3)
              b. clicked on "Show this folder as an Email Address Book"
              c. opened a new email and clicked "To" to make sure the address book appeared as it should.
              d. closed out of outlook and moved to next computer until all computers had address list added.
              3. Went back to owner computer and tried to click on the new address book and I received an error message saying that it could not be opened.
              4. Checked other computers and the same message appeared on them as well.

The main issue I encountered however, is that I tried to create a test contact to see if it would show up on all of the address books and it did not. So even if this process worked, I would have to revise contacts on each computer rather than just on mine with updates.

Comment

Originally posted by uk_network View Post
                ------
                on the pst right click 'contacts - joe' > copy contacts move to INBOX
                Yes it would have worked if you hadnt have missed a step

It sounds like u have just gone to the pst and found the contacts there and chose properties, show in address book....then removed the pst.......
                well u should have copied them to the inbox...

i've found another way too....you can copy them to a public folder and do it that way. With it been in a public folder u could set permissions there...
                Attached Files
                Last edited by uk_network; 27th October 2008, 21:25.

MCITP -W7,

Comment

Our current Outlook folder list does not show any public folders. Could you tell me how to create one?

Comment

Public folders show when you connect to Exchange server.
                    You may have to click the yellow folder icon at the bottom left to show all folders though.
                    cheers
                    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

OK, I copied the Contacts List into the Public Folders. I am still not able to access this list when I open a new email and click the "To" field. What do you advise? (I think we're getting close!)

Comment

If they are in the Public Folders try right clicking it and ticking the box "Show as email address book" or whatever it says (not by a server at the mo)
                        cheers
                        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Right click>properties>outlook address book>show this folder as an e-mail address book.

MCITP -W7,

Comment

OK Thanks. My last question (I hope) has to do with viewing the new Contacts List with my other lists under "My Contacts." I have tried the following steps:

1. On the Tools menu, click Email Accounts.
                            2. Click Add a new directory or address book, and then click Next.
                            3. Click Add.
                            4. Click Additional Address Books, and then click Next.
                            5. Click Outlook Address Book, and then click Next.
                            6. Click OK.

Once I get to this point, I receive an error message that says: "This account or directory already exists and cannot be specified twice."

We're so close! Your advice is much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                            X