Outlook 2003 and Huge Attachment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook 2003 and Huge Attachment

A user has a 700MB attachment in an email in his Outlook 2003 mailbox. When he attempts to access the message Outlook hangs. Any idea of a solution for this attachment to be retrieved? Thanks

Re: Outlook 2003 and Huge Attachment

You could try OWA or just wait for Outlook. Disable the AV too (assuming you know it is safe).
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by Acolyte View Post
      A user has a 700MB attachment in an email in his Outlook 2003 mailbox. When he attempts to access the message Outlook hangs. Any idea of a solution for this attachment to be retrieved? Thanks
      Outlook doesn't maintain mailboxes; so it's either in an Exchange (or other messaging server) mailbox or it's in a PST file... What kind of file needs to be 700Mb??! I think that if you click "File...Save Attachments...<attachment name>" then it WILL work; you'll just have to wait a LONG time. You could always try (as suggested) using OWA, or Outlook 2007, to access the attachment.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Never even heard of someone setting up Exchange to accept 700 MB attachments. I'm assuming this was an inter-office email?
        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Sounds like a CD ISO to me!
          Acolyte may be worth setting up an FTP site if your users want to do this. To befair though I would make sure your Exchange blocks attachments that big.
          cheers
          Andy

Comment

Thanks for the replies!

Actually this was an inter office email.

I used OWA and could actually get the message opened. However when trying to save the attachement it times out.

Comment

Would it be easier just to delete it and get them to put the file on a file server?
              As Stonelaughter said, have you tried just waiting for the file, even though it looks hung?
              cheers
              Andy

Comment

It is a 2 year old email and the attached data can't be found anywhere else

Comment

I take it this is the first time anyone's tried to download the attachment?
                  ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Sorry to ask again but have you tried just right click and saving the attachment then just leaving the machine alone for a hour etc?
                    cheers
                    Andy

Comment

Thanks I was able to download the attachent by opening the users account on my PC and it worked, his had been giving errors. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Glad you got it sorted!
                        Thanks for letting us know.
                        cheers
                        Andy

Comment

Working...
                        X