Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook won't connect to server when Cached mode is on

Hey all,

Little bit stuck with this little issue we are now experiencing on a couple of our sites.

We are currently using Outlook 2003 with all critical updates installed.

We are using Exchange 2003 Standard as our back-end software.

When a user on a remote site adds exchange cached mode it cannot connect to the server. It's almost like it loses its authentication. If Cached mode is left turned off then its fine.

I've attached an image of the dialogue box that pops-up when cached mode is turned off.

BTW it all works perfectly when cached mode is turned off.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by wullieb1; 17th July 2008, 04:50.

Re: Outlook won't connect to server when Cached mode is on

We had this issue a while ago, most of the time removing unnecessary addons and setting authentication type to ntlm solved the issue. we had one device that had google desktop on it and after removing that it went. and we had several other devices that needed to have outlook reinstalled in order to work properly. I was never able to find any common solution for the issue. I have 2 right now that still do it and I am considering a call into MS to try and figure things out. If you come across any other findings let me know.
    Technology is only as good as those who use it

My tech blog - wiredtek.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by wiredteknologies View Post
      We had this issue a while ago, most of the time removing unnecessary addons and setting authentication type to ntlm solved the issue. we had one device that had google desktop on it and after removing that it went. and we had several other devices that needed to have outlook reinstalled in order to work properly. I was never able to find any common solution for the issue. I have 2 right now that still do it and I am considering a call into MS to try and figure things out. If you come across any other findings let me know.
      I'm going to call MS on Monday as i've tried everything i can think of.

Been working on this for weeks...

Comment

Right i'm now a little bit further on with this than i was.

After speaking to one of ouor consultants i opened outlook and waited on outlook to stop working and ask for login credentials.

I then held down CTRL and right clicked to outlook icon and selected Connection status.

Now the interesting part is that outlook is hung on opening the Public Folders.

I now need to find out why this is happening.

Comment

I think there was a (fairly) similar post a while ago. The public folder thing could apparently have been the favourites part.
          How is your Exchange setup, multiple replicas etc? Firewalls between anything? Outlook <07 uses PF for its address lists/freebusy etc so it will hang if it can't see the server they are on for example.
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
            I think there was a (fairly) similar post a while ago. The public folder thing could apparently have been the favourites part.
            How is your Exchange setup, multiple replicas etc? Firewalls between anything? Outlook <07 uses PF for its address lists/freebusy etc so it will hang if it can't see the server they are on for example.
            Hey Andy thanks fro sticking with this. I was off ill the last part of the week so didn't get to work on any of it.

All of our PF are only on the relevant home servers with no replica's setup anywhere. Strange thing is that we can access any of our domian PF's and not the other child domain PF's. I have however found a PF that doesn't look like it sould be there so i've asked for it to be deleted.

We have Sonicwall firewalls on all our local sites but NOT on the other child domain site. I think its a Fortigate that they have.

All traffic VPN to VPN is allowed. I can browse and access servers/shares, etc from our domain with no issues.

None of the accounts i've tried this on have any favourite PF's setup and the issues only ever crop up when the user tries to login with cached mode switched on.

I'm currently working on something else quite urgent so will try and get back onto this ASAP.

Comment

Hey all just an update to say that this is now rectified and is working as it was.

Turned out to be a server on another child domain, just so happens to be the main exchange domain, wasn't replicating with our child domian correctly hence the authentication wasn't working.

Took many hours of looking but we got there so hopefully this helps someone else.

BTW the fix for it is here

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/819268

Comment

Working...
              X