Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook 2007 crashing

Hi,

I have a weird fault on several of my users emails. We are using Exchange 2003 SP2. When they open up Outlook 2007 (with SP1), it crashes straight away and has that box ticked to say "restart outlook" and when you click ok, it just crashes again and again, etc and etc.

I have discovered that if I remove SP1 it is fixed, however that isn't really a fix. And I have one user who that does not work either, although that users email could be opened with Outlook 2003 (no service packs). It is not the computer as Outlook cannot be opened for these people on any computer.

I can open Outlook in safe mode and I can also view it using OWA internally.

I don't really know what to do. From what I've read it is a problem email, but how do I find it when the users have thousands of emails, and what am I even looking for? Or is that not the problem either?

Can someone advise? I'm totally stuck!

Thanks in advance,
    Steve.

Re: Outlook 2007 crashing

What AV do you have on the clients? Most nowadays have Outlook plugins.
    Any other plugins for outlook?
    Can you replicate this problem on another pc for the same user?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

We are using CA's e-Trust 8.1.

No other plug-ins for Outlook.
      • If the user with the crashing logs onto any other machine with Outlook 2007 SP1 they will get the same fault.
      • If they log onto a machine with Outlook 2007 (no SP) it will work.
      • For one user the Outlook 2007 will not work at all and they can only use machines with Outlook 2003 (no SP)

Thanks!

Comment

A remote possibility but have you edited the allowed versions of outlook for Exchange (usually recommended by the bpa) at all?
        http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../aa996848.aspx

Try disabling the Outlook plugin, I couldn't find any occurrences on the web of problems but it is worth a try.
        http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/1959/...abling_add_ins

You can turn on Outlook logging as well:
        http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...304211033.aspx
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Hi Andy,

1) No I have not done that.
          2) What plug-in's do I disable?
          3) I'll try that. -but what should I look for in the logs?

Also what is disabled when you start Outlook in safe mode? -as I have none of these problems in safe mode.

Thanks,
          Steve.

Comment

business contact manager? - can be a right pita

right click taskbar/notification icon and use the tools there to check connectivity

if your looking for particular mails, use message tracker by ?username? and check whats in your queue's

sometimes helps to remove exchange account from control panel and re-add it

did you do outlook /safe and then close outlook then open?

check that your av hasnt locked an attachement, worth emptying the quarantine...

check your data(ost...) files are ok and that the permissions in the roaming profile allow access - make new ones

check your event viewer to see whats happening

make another mailbox for them and see if its different

Comment

Is there some documentation somewhere that explains what Outlook in safe mode does not check/run?

Thanks!

Comment

Further to my musings, if I run Outlook /safe I can get outlook to open but it will not close. If I click on the X in the top right nothing happens, and if I click "File, Close" nothing happens. The only way to stop it is Force quit with Process Explorer or similar.

The problem is with different users on any computer on the network that they decide to log on to.

Removing the exchange account and adding doesn't help, nor does deleting the mail account from control panel as the user can logon onto a brand new computer and the same thing will happen.

Any ideas?
                Thanks!

Comment

Further when I go to "Tools", "Trust Center" it freezes even in safe mode. Is there some way to get to the trust centre outside of Outlook, so I can check what the settings are in there?

Also there is nothing meaningful in the event logs.

Thanks!
                  Steve.

Comment

Another update. I discovered if I unistall Windows Desktop Search, Outlook no longer crashes. Weird! However Outlook still will not close by using the X or the File, Exit. I have to Force Quit.

Any ideas for this one?
                    Thanks, Steve.

Comment

I finally get around the problem by uninstalling Windows Desktop Search 3.01 and Office 2007 SP1. Annoying! This was all using XP SP3.

I wonder if it still fails with Vista...

Comment

Further to my discussion I've discovered that Outlook will always crash and never open with a brand new user to the system. However if the new user opens Word 2007, and accepts the default questions, Outlook will operate totally fine from then on.

Strange!!

Any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                        X