Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook 2007 'stalled'

Hello all

I have had a new problem with some of our clients who have upgraded to office 2007; and mainly with outlook

Actually to be more precise, its one client - our CFO.

He's running a moderately-up-to-date PC (dual core cpu, 1.5gb of ram), windows XP pro, SP2 and Office 2007 SP1. Most other updates have been installed by our WSUS server

We run an Exchange 2003 server and we do not use full text indexing

His mailbox is roughly 2.3 gb with around 15,000 items

Now when he logs on it takes quite a while before it is active, sometimes anywhere up to 10 minutes. We have uninstalled windows search and disabled indexing on his hard drive too, but it still takes considerable amounts of time for his system to log in

He is running internet explorer 7 as well as trend micro office scan 8. It seems that ever since we have switched to version 8, things have slowed down all over the place

GPRESULT /z shows that policies are being applied ok without error

Our computers (including his) are defragged and cleaned of temp files regularly as well as having disk check ran at least a month

The most frustrating thing is that when I log in and run task manager, memory and CPU usage is not abnormal at all. Sure there are a few things that use maybe 60~70 mb of ram whilst its sorting out what its doing, but its still not getting hammered

Everywhere I've read so far has suggested 'reducing mailbox' size, which in this case is not applicable. Some have suggested downgrading to 2003 - but again, I cant see why a newer version of outlook has so many issues with this, when 2003 ran fine

Has anyone else experienced similar problems as this?

Thanks in advance

Re: Outlook 2007 'stalled'

Have you tried re-creating his outlook profile? Is it in cached or non cached mode? Does outlook complain about anything or log anything in the event log?

Long term maybe something like Enterprise Vault could be an option as the users still sees their messages (clearly depending on the amount of users etc).
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by Robbo View Post
      Hello all

I have had a new problem with some of our clients who have upgraded to office 2007; and mainly with outlook
      or
      Originally posted by Robbo View Post
      Now when he logs on it takes quite a while before it is active, sometimes anywhere up to 10 minutes. We have uninstalled windows search and disabled indexing on his hard drive too, but it still takes considerable amounts of time for his system to log in

You seem pretty sure its outlook, however the symptom is the extended logon.
      Long logon times are usually associated with connections that time out. EG old mapped drive, incorrect DNS entry, duplicate static IP on the network, AV pointing to the wrong server, etc...

If its just outlook, switch to non cached mode, delete the .ost, and put him back to cached mode (wait a while for it to re-sync)

Hopefully that sent you in the right direction.
      "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Originally posted by Lior_S View Post
        or

You seem pretty sure its outlook, however the symptom is the extended logon.
        Long logon times are usually associated with connections that time out. EG old mapped drive, incorrect DNS entry, duplicate static IP on the network, AV pointing to the wrong server, etc...

If its just outlook, switch to non cached mode, delete the .ost, and put him back to cached mode (wait a while for it to re-sync)

Hopefully that sent you in the right direction.
        Theres an old adage. Blame the last thing thats changed for a new issue

Our DNS, Static Ips and the like have remained unchanged. Only since switching to 2007 has this problem since happened.

Our antivirus is configured through login scripts to the server ip, not its name directly

I have tried recreating his profile. It is cached mode and yes cached mode is required in our org

Comment

Working...
        X