Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook fails to find contacts in public folder

Hi

Only one workstation is doing this. In Outlook, the company contacts in the public folder are all visible. But a search using the "Look for" feature returns no entries. Advanced search, however, works fine. Only the standard search has this problem, and only on this machine and this user. The internal address book searches fine, as does the private address book, and all other employees are able to search the public folder without problem.

Server Base is Windows SBS Server2003 sp2
    Active Directory Domain Environment.
    This machine is a Laptop running Windows XP Pro SP2
    when in the office it sits on a dock
    Installed off the SBS server Outlook 2003 sp3
    We are trying to Search the public Contacts with the Standard Search tool.
    The search is coming up empty every time.
    Keep in mind that the Advanced search still works.
    We have tried the following. Both on and off the Dock.
    Restarting outlook
    flushing the search filter
    Logging on and off
    Rebooting
    Re indexing the contacts
    Installing desktop search 3.1
    There is not really an error It just simply states that it can't find anything.
    There is nothing in the event log for this.
    Other than this being a Laptop no there are hardware restrictions.
    Backups are made every night.

In the past when I have see this It was fixed by a flush of the search filter,
    but not this time.

Thanks for rereading this Post.
    Last edited by SeekerLA; 31st March 2008, 20:42. Reason: Added More Information

Re: Outlook fails to find contacts in public folder

Have you tried:

(1) Logging onto another workstation as this user and testing the search?
    (2) Is this workstation using an OST file or has Cached Exchange Mode turned on? Have you tried turning the Cached Exchange Mode off and also delete/create the OST file as new.
    (3) Do all your workstations (that are working) have SP3? If not, have you tried uninstalling SP3 and installing an earlier service pack such as SP2?

* Just trying to determine if it could be a service pack issue or offline issue.

Regards,
    Zoey

Comment

We did try
      (1) Logging onto another workstation as this user and testing the search?

and it worked just fine.

(2) Is this workstation using an OST file or has Cached Exchange Mode turned on? Have you tried turning the Cached Exchange Mode off and also delete/create the OST file as new.

We did turn cashed more off than back on.

(3) Do all your workstations (that are working) have SP3? If not, have you tried uninstalling SP3 and installing an earlier service pack such as SP2?

all workstations are currently running SP2

We ended up rebuilding the laptop.
      and its working just fine.

However i still do not know if there was a way to get around an entire rebuild.

thanks again Zoeythecat for your responce!

Comment

I suspect the public folder contacts folder was not added to Outlook as an "Outlook Address Book". If it happens again make sure the folder is designated as one because otherwise it won't look up contacts from that folder when they're typed in the "To" line either.

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Thanks
          Stonelaughter

Thanks for your Input. This particular persons laptop is not often available for service and they do tinker with settings. it is very possible that they removed the folder from the address book and we just did not catch it.
          That will be printed out and put in my Help to fix book .

And I do appreciate the response.

Thanks again To a Great Tech Forum.

Comment

You're welcome of course. Let us know if you manage to fix it, and how

Tom
            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Working...
            X