No announcement yet.

Synchronization causes Outlook to hang

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synchronization causes Outlook to hang

I have laptop users (Win XP pro/Outlook 2000) who are setup with offline folders. The laptops are brand new, and have a fresh load of Office. Outlook is set up to synchronize on exit, but when connected to the domain via the LAN, Outlook fails to complete its synchronization.

It synchronizes the marked mailbox folders, downloads the global address list, but thereafter fails to complete its synchronization and close Outlook. It gets stuck on a continious loop displaying either "synchronizing forms", "synchronizing views", or more commonly "saving synchronization log"

This requires an end task to close Outlook. The event viewer source is "Application hung", but there is nothing on the Microsoft knowledge base about this error.

The exchange server is an NT server running exchange 5.5.

Please help!!

Have you tried creating a new mailbox for them? It maybe due to a corrupt mailbox or even worse a corrupt information store. Try creating a new user and a new mailbox, forward some mails to it and then setup Outlook on the laptop for the new user and syncronise. See what happens. That will give you an idea of where to go next.

You could also try exporting the mailbox to a pst, if that works then there shouldn't be any problems with the mailbox. There are some known issues with Exchange 5.5 and syncronising. It maybe worth a search on Technet again if you don't find a solution.

Good luck
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: Synchronization causes Outlook to hang

Good evening,

I was wondering if you have been able to resolve this issue. We recently moved our corporate email system to exchange server and I am currently experiencing the exact issue referred to in this post. I also have Windows XP/ Outlook 2000 configuration. Synchronization hangs at 'Saving synchronization log'. Do you have a solution? It's driving me crazy! Our IT desk is not very helpful in this matter.

If you could help or have some advice, that would be great!

Best regards.

Re: Synchronization causes Outlook to hang

Given over two years have passed since the original posts, I think they may have been able to resolve the issue by now

Please do not dredge up old posts, instead do a new one linking to the original thread.

Surely you would be better moving to Outlook 2003 / Exchange 2003 and cached emails, which works like a charm
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **