No announcement yet.

Mails on server 2003

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mails on server 2003

Hello again everyone ,

My problem is : At my work we got a server 2003 + Exchange.
    My mails are stored on that server.
    Home i have a pop3/smtp accont and of course all the mails are stored here too in a PST file.(home i use outlook from office 2003).

i just reinstall the computer , i keeped the .PST file and the .NK2 file.
    When i recreated the pop3 account instead that only the new mails (unread mails) should have download to the PST file , all the mails were download(evan the ones that i already had in the PST fle).

So the question is : Is there an option so i wont have to download all the mails when i reinstall the computer ?

Thank you

Well sry i think this topic should be in outlook 2003 not here pls move it ..sry again.

p.s. I hope i am getting understand here .
    Last edited by bnoyzf24; 17th February 2008, 21:18.

Re: Mails on server 2003

Question moved to Outlook forum from Exchange forum.

Exchange Forum Moderator.
    Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
    Exchange Resources List:
    In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Go to tools menu, email accounts, next, highlight the account in question, hit change button, more settings button, advanced tab, under delivery section, check all three boxes, and change the days to 14 (or so).

wait never mind the above, wrong answer
      Last edited by Lior_S; 18th February 2008, 23:20. Reason: mistake
      "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

I dont think there is a way to exclude the old mails from being downloaded to Outlook. But still i am looking into it.... will let you know if there is a way.

Exchange is not a very good POP server, how about using RPC/HTTPS?
          Is that possible for you.
          "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Hey guys ,
            Thank you for your answers ,
            It would be great if there was something to do about this ...pop3...
            If not -1 point for bill
            Ty again anyways

L.e: I just got an ideea :

For Ex : How does the exchange , initially know to "take" out form the exchnge server only the "new" emails?
            What could be the diffrence after i recreated the pop3 account ? maybe a file or soemthing that "tell" the pst where to begin downloading?
            Last edited by bnoyzf24; 21st February 2008, 08:29.

As far as POP3 is concerned, the Outlook client and Exchange server keep track of which emails have been downloaded. When you configure a new Outlook profile it is in essence a new client and therefore all emails will be downloaded. This is the way POP3 works. Exchange has no idea that these emails have been downloaded by the same computer before it only knows that this is a new Outlook client which has not downloaded the emails yet. Secondarily, if you're using Exchange you shouldn't have Outlook configured as a POP3 client you should have it configured as an Exchange client. Why do you want to download your emails off of the server?

Hello and thank you joeqwerty

1.. I only use Exchange at work , home i use POP3(cant use here excange )
                2. I need to download them more as a backup

But now i understand you just CANT .

Again thank you for your time guys.