automate existing move of emails to folder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• automate existing move of emails to folder

I'm not sure if this is possible without a whole lot of work...

I have a user in London connecting to a US exchange server over a slow connection with a 4gb inbox, he has 90,000 emails in his inbox. I'd like to move every single email from 2006 into a 2006 folder, but I can't drag and drop the whole lot - operation times out).

So the question I have is it possible to get outlook to automatically move emails in bulk depending on criteria into a specific folder?

Thx

Re: automate existing move of emails to folder

First research the AutoArchive function

Once you go through all of those post back with any issues or if something does not make sense.
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Note that AutoArchive does so on the LAST MODIFIED date, not the date on the email. This means if they read a 2006 email yesterday, and you tell it to archive all 2006 emails, that email won't be archived.

AutoArchiving will still catch most emails though.
      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I've found rules (based on "specific date span") to be very effective to do this sort of thing
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I personally don't like auto archive as it will keep writing to the same pst file.

Why not get the user to implement an archive procedure where he/she is responsible for archiving there own mail.

Does the user not have a mailbox limit?? Could be another method of enforcing the archive rules.

If you can access the users folder then you can archive all his/he mail for them and then set the motion in progress.

4GB is a big mail box, even our CEO doesn't have that.

Comment

Working...
          X