Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prevent users to create subfolders

Hello,

Does anyone know if it's possible to prevent my users to create subfolders of the inbox in outlook 2003?
    In other words: I don't want my users to create such subfolders, all their mail should stay in the inbox until they delete it...

And if there is a setting should I execute it separately in each account or is there a GPO setting for it.

I use SBS 2003 SP2 Server...

Best regards,

Victor

Re: Prevent users to create subfolders

Hello,

Closing this question, no solutions..

Best regards,

Victor

Comment

Just wondering your reasons as to why you would want to implement this?

Having specific folders for specific mails helps your organise your inbox.

Michael
      Michael Armstrong
      www.m80arm.co.uk
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Very good point Michael.

Victor, what is your end goal with what you are trying to do? If you can explain the reason for this then there may be another way to tackle what you want done.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hello,

That's just the case, you hit the 'jackpot button' .. specific mail folders is just the issue here. Every user makes their own (sub) folders where we just want a global policy of subfolders. Everyone the same folders and folder structure so specific mail is always (and for everyone) delivered in the same way. And ofcourse this structure may not be changed by the user..

So IMHO a perfectly normal question for routing mail....

With best regards,

Victor

Comment

It's a very odd question actually. What is the logic behind this request? Does someone think this will help the business in some fashion, or make the servers faster?
            Last edited by Wired; 12th February 2008, 16:42. Reason: typo
            ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Nothing odd about this question or may we only ask questions here to help the business in some fashion?
              In our company we just want the same structure of folders and subfolders in Outlook for all our users without the possibility for users to change this..

I'm asking for a technical possibility here and not for someone's personal opinion.. and if there are no technical solutions then we have to search for another solution, it's as simple as that...

With best regards,

Victor

Comment

Googling gives (among others) this link:
                http://hellomate.typepad.com/exchang...g_calenda.html

You could also try:
                http://www.symprex.com/products/fold...sions-manager/

Note I have not tried either of the options and all are at your own risk
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by victor Max View Post
                  Nothing odd about this question or may we only ask questions here to help the business in some fashion?
                  No, you can ask whatever you'd like, it's just that like biggles said, if we know the reasoning behind it, our collective experience may be able to come up with a better solution for you.

In our company we just want the same structure of folders and subfolders in Outlook for all our users without the possibility for users to change this..
                  I believe the reason we're all scratching our heads at this request is because each user works how they like to, and they have their own organizational patterns. Also, they're the only ones who will see their mailbox, so having a set structure over all of the users doesn't make any sense. To me, a set structure only makes sense when you have multiple people accessing the same media (e.g. branch servers. The only reason I can think of wanting to do this is to simplify IT work in some sense, but having dealt with users with 1000's of folders (don't ask), even then I didn't have any reason to change their folder structure.

Having said that, Ossian's 2nd link looks like it may do what you're looking for. Certainly not cheap though, and like he said, caveat emptor!

Comment

Thanks Guys...

The second link http://www.symprex.com/products/fold...sions-manager/ is exactly what we are looking for. It is indead not cheap but that's for our managers to decide...

Thanks for the support Wired, Ossian...

Victor

Comment

No problem -- let us know how you get on!
                      Tom Jones
                      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

Comment

Working...
                      X