No announcement yet.

Outlook 2003 Contact Display Name

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook 2003 Contact Display Name

I've got a Outlook 2003 environment with Exchange 2003. I've configured Outlook to show contacts as: "Lastname, Firstname" for everyone. But I have this one guy who is having trouble. Every new contact that he creates has the File As field as: "Firstname, Lastname".

Here's what I know:
    • The normal method of creating a contact for him is to fill in the Full Name line on the contact form. So if he enters: "John Doe" there, Outlook then converts that into "John, Doe" for the File As field, leaving the Full Name entry alone.
    • I had him click on Full Name and fill out that form, placing "John" for First and "Doe" for Last. Outlook took that and made the Full Name as "John Doe" and the File As field "John, Doe".
    • At no time does Outlook give any error message, it simply processes the entry as I describe.
    • He has been manually converting these for months and just notified me recently about it. I can't find any problems with Exchange. No other user has this problem.
    • I've reinstalled Office 2003 (which is how we get Outlook) which didn't help.
    • I've 'googled' for a similiar situation, and found nothing.

I'm at a loss as to what the problem and solution are.

Anyone here got an idea as to what the problem might be?

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"
    -- The Mythbusters

Re: Outlook 2003 Contact Display Name

Maybe you need to change the setting in Tools -> Email Accounts -> View or change existing directories or address books -> Change. At the bottom of the box that appears, you can switch between "First Name Last Name" and "Last Name, First Name".

Here are some links that may help. Good luck.
    Was that so hard?