send and receive fails to complete

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• send and receive fails to complete

This problem has emerged only after a recent crash and fresh intall of XP and applications. I have 22 email accounts. I use my domain host POP3 server. When I open Outlook, exactly 4 of the 22 accounts download and the rest timeout with an 0x800CCC0F error: "The connection to the server was interupted."

Subsequent send and receives result in a variable number of accounts that timeout - usually about 2. Rarely the same ones from test to test. Never the first 4 or so in my Outlook group. Sometimes (rarely) none timeout.

Changing the server timeout setting on the accounts seems to have no effect. Uninstalling my antivirus and firewall has no effect. I have twiddled what settings I could find to no effect. I tried a repair of Outlook to no effect. I emphasize this problem has only emerged recently.

Ideas?

Re: send and receive fails to complete

You do not mention what version of outlook.

In any case, assuming 2003. First disable automatic send/receive.
    Tools, Options, Mail setup tab, send/receive button, Uncheck the second check box in the lower portion of that window.

Then do a send receive on each one of the 22 accounts separately to be sure they all work correctly, one at a time and let them finish before proceeding. To do this click on the tiny arrow, next to the actual send/receive button at the top. Click on the account name, --> Inbox

Post back results.

Just a hunch I suspect that it is the TCP/IP limter (10/sec) that is killing the rest...
    Check in your system event log for
    Code:
    Event Type:	Warning
    Event Source:	Tcpip
    Event Category:	None
    Event ID:	4226
    Date:		8/13/2007
    Time:		8:53:18 PM
    User:		N/A
    Computer:	XXXXXXXXX
    Description:
    TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Last edited by Lior_S; 21st September 2007, 04:48. Reason: 2003
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Thanks for the tip! It pointed me to what appears to be a security change limiting the number of open TCP/IP connections to 10. I split my mail accounts into 2 send and receive groups with different schedules. Most tests now run to completion. The alternative of editing tcpip.sys is a little too scary for me.

Comment

If I remeber correctly it is is new in SP2.
        I too would not edit tcpip.sys.
        Thanks for posting back what worked
        "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Working...
        X