Relay Access Denied

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relay Access Denied

I have a problem with this one PC. The other computers are not affected in the office.
    The user is using outlook 2003. she's using SMTP to connect to the Exchange server.
    She's using an ADSL modem to connect to the internet.

Whenever she tries to send an e-mail, she gets an undeliverable mail report displaying this error "Relay access denied".

I've been searching for solutions on the internet all day and this is what they suggested:

1. Make sure that "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentification" is checked in your Outgoing server settings.
    tried it and it still gives me the same error.

2. I also tried to change my outgoing server number from 25 to 587.
    The error doesn't appear anymore but now i get another error stating that it can't connect to my outgoing SMTP server

Any help would be gladly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance
    Last edited by skie; 14th September 2007, 13:24.
    I am Nobody. Nobody's Perfect therefore, I'm Perfect!

Re: Relay Access Denied

Exchange is blocking relay for that user for some reason. Check the relay conditions in the vSMTP server in Exchange.

Typically, by default relay is allowed for authenticated users. Make sure authentication is occurring and that her IP isn't in the relay blacklist.

Read this KB article to get help testing that the user is properly authenticating.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../aa995718.aspx
    Last edited by ahinson; 14th September 2007, 14:01.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Well this user obviously has a user account in the domain otherwise she couldn't have an Exchange mailbox, so why not configure Outlook to connect to the Exchange server natively using MAPI instead of manually using SMTP and POP3?

Comment

To Ahinson: read the article you supplied . thanks but it Tested the SMTP connection succesfully.
        Question: How doi check that the IP address isn't blaclisted the the relay messaging?

To Joequerty: I'll try it this mornig willlet you guys know of the outcome!
        Joe, whats the difference of connecting to the Exchange server using POP3 and IMAP?

Comment

Joeqwerty: Tried using IMAP but still no luck!!!
          Anymore suggestions guys?

Comment

Maybe I wasn't clear, sorry. You should not use IMAP or POP3 (for retreiving email) and SMTP (for sending email) directly to your email server from your Outlook client. When you configure Outlook you should select the Exchange server option, this tells Outlook to connect to Exchange natively using MAPI (messaging application programming interface) and therefore no relaying is involved. If you do configure Outlook to use IMAP or POP for retreving and SMTP for sending emails then you will have to configure Exchange to allow relaying either for authenticated users or for specific ip addresses. The simplest way to get Outlook working in an Exchange environment is to use the Exchange option when setting up the Outlook profile.

Comment

tried choosing exchange when setting user up, doesn't connect to the exchange server.maybe its because she's not in our head office. Eberyone @ Headoffice accesses the E-mails using the exchange option. the other branches use POP3 to send\receive e-mails. all branches are in perfect working order except this one user.

Comment

It sounds like there is a firewall between the user and the server. Have you tried setting up the server and client to use RPC over HTTP?

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                  Have you tried setting up the server and client to use RPC over HTTP?
                  Please keep in mind that i'm new in the server world. If were to take an educated guess, i would say the server is configured correctly as other users dont have a problem. Question: How do you set up a client to use RPC over HTTP?

Thanx for your patience.

Comment

Originally posted by skie View Post
                    Please keep in mind that i'm new in the server world. If were to take an educated guess, i would say the server is configured correctly as other users dont have a problem. Question: How do you set up a client to use RPC over HTTP?

Thanx for your patience.
                    Search the Exchange Forum and/or - http://forums.petri.com/search.php
                    Search the Petri IT Knowledgebase - http://www.petri.co.il/

Any questions you have after the search can be posted in the appropriate forum (Exchange 2003 or Exchange 2007).
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

The problem got sorted out.

The problem was that the PC's ip address was assigned by the DHCP server automatically and it was pointing to the wrong Gateway and DNS server. I manually configured the IP address and everything is working Super.

Thanks for your help and Patience guys/gals, its been really appreciated.

Comment

Thank you for posting back what the solution was. We appreciate that and it may help someone who has a similar problem in the future. : beer:
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                        X