Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pst >19gb

Hello everyone , i have this problem :
    In my company a persons PST reached the 19 GB Limit and now i receive this error:

Task 'Microsoft Exchange Server - Sending' reported error (0x8004060C) : 'The message store has reached its maximum size. To reduce the amount of data in this message store, select some items that you no longer need, and permanently (SHIFT + DEL) delete them.'

I have found this 2 ideeas to help me but it didnt work out for me

1. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832925

2.PSTmax file a tool that kinda do the same like 1.

After i didnt succed in doing this (Make the 19GB mail larger ) i deleted some of the person mails but still the 19Gb mail remaind 19GB (i deleted at least 2 gb of it)

I tried to compress it but same 19gb remains...

Can someone please give a an ideea ?

It would be great if it would be possible to have an "unlimited" PST file
    Thank you very much

LE : I am sorry if there is already a tread with this subject but i didnt find it .If there is pls link me to it
    Last edited by bnoyzf24; 12th September 2007, 15:05.

Re: Pst >19gb

Why not just create a new .pst file and change Outlook to deliver new mails to this. Then open both .pst files within Outlook so the user can look through both

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Hello ,
      I could do that but the original PST files has more then 1000 tree folders ...and that would be time consuming(to recreate the Folder tree) + the PST file needs to have a "nice" tree line .

Comment

How to copy outlook folder structure:
        http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...166031033.aspx
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thank very much Ossian this is indeed very usefull , but i will use this ideea in last resort , only if i cant make the PST file >19GB

Comment

Whenever I run into this, I archive their PST into multiple archives. One for each year generally. Drastically reduces the size, keeps the folder structure, etc.
            ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

No ideeas yet?
              If u want i can send my 19 GB PST file to test on it hehe

Comment

I always thought that a pst file had a limitation of 2 Gb
                Marcel
                Technical Consultant
                Netherlands
                http://www.phetios.com
                http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
                  I always thought that a pst file had a limitation of 2 Gb
                  20 Gb by default in 2003 and above, but it appears you can change it:
                  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830336

bnoyzf24, I wouldn't "hehe" too much if I were you - if anything goes wrong with the file, your user is seriously stuffed!

btw, could you clarify:
                  You say you are getting exchange errors, so is this really a PST issue (files stored on the users local PC) or an exchange issue (mailboxes all stored on the server)?rre
                  Either way, I would break it into multiple files very quickly and back them up numerous times!

Tom
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

Ossian ,
                    First i want to say thank you for your time ,then :

1. The link u provided me it is already check by my and its NOT working
                    (in the regedit i set the max file PST for 30 GB)..nothing
                    2.The problem that i have with my PST file is that as i said before i deleted the INBOX\Deleted Files and it shoud have be now 17 gb but still its 19 Gb..i tried to compress the file ..still 19 gb odd...
                    Thank you again

Comment

How much rubbish is in the Sent Item? And a curiosity question,why does any user need a 19GB mailbox? If they have attachments or emails that they absolutely need (?) to access, then why not save them into the Public Folders?
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Have you tried Scan PST on the beast to fix whatever ails the PST and possibly get back your 2 GB???

Usually stored in "C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033\SCANPST.EXE"

In your case, I'd take an extra backup past the one offered by SCANPST.
                        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

biggles77 :

The user needs such a big file because its a person that works in a Call-Center at a airline company and trust me she has like a 200.000 all needed , and there arent any big mails in the pst ....

rvalstar :

I tried to use it and i failed it stucks..(i left it over night).

Finally i succeded to compress it with a tool caled PSTCompress 3.0.25 and i made it like 17.5 Gb ..but soon i will have same problem...so the only thing it wil be to archive some of the mails or split it in too cause the microsoft solution of manualy set the regedit doesnt work

Anyways guys thack you very much.

Comment

This is utter nonsense... I have found that PST files (even on the fastest systems) get almost unusable at anywhere from half a gig to 2 gig. They freeze up while searching for item content, they get fragmented and slow, and they often corrupt and lose massive chunks of data. A PST file in my experience could never achieve 19Gb because LONG before that time the user would either have lost all their data or they would have thrown their PC out the window.

Tom
                            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

You can always break up a PST into smaller ones based on time and/or topic. I have over 5 GB of email that I still browse regularly -- project work and my brain leaks. BUT, I have it distributed over 20 PSTs so I agree w/ Tom that your 19 GB problem can be remedied if you think about it in a slightly different way. My largest PST is 1.5 GB and it works fine on a reasonably fast machine but a search for particular key words in the message text can run a few minutes..

Throwing your PC out the window reminds me of a TV advert many years ago of how to make that slow machine run fast -- have it hit terminal velocity by tossing it out a window N floors up. It would take much more height than that of course but a good advert none-the-less.
                              Cheers,

Rick

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
                              X