Stealing Email Addresses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stealing Email Addresses

Does anyone know how spammers are able to steal ones emaill address? Probably because I run some 5 web sites and enjoy using a number of forums, I get inundated with over 200 silly spam each day. Most of it is recognised by the Orange computer, presumably becuase many others also receives it, and as a result is dumped in a junk folder at their site for a while if I do not delete it.

What baffles me is somtimes a check shows one is claiming to come frem my email address, how come? I thought servers employed a system to ensure no one else can register with another person's address, or is it perhaps because Orange is too lazy to employ such a checking system.

I should add I NEVER allow any addresses to be placed in my OE Address box, as I developed a program a long time ago to store all such addresses in a TXT file button activated, which no hacker is likely to discover easily. Anyone can freely have the program if requested.

Re: Stealing Email Addresses

There probably just masquarading your email address or using it as the display neme. If you check the mail header information you will see exactly where it's comming from and where it was passed to your mail server from.

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks. I did check with a right click on the email and it showed it was supposed to be coming from my address. I understand awhile ago on por UK TV that Orange was allowing spammers to steal subsribers addresses. I might add I also get quite a few spam from similar addresses to mine.

I was just wondering how prevalent was the practice among other servers.

Comment

If you have registered any Domain Names they can also harvest your address from there as the contact address can be easily found. Another way is when idiots forward the Monday moring funnies to everyone in their address book and put the names in the To: or CC: options that can be collected by bots. BCC: should be the prefered option of choice for bulk emailing. (Though I must admit I am also guilty of not using BCC when I only have 2 to 5 addresses that I am sending to)
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks but I am too mean to cough up for a domain name, especialy since everything I offer folk from my site is for free, including numerous old and new programs.

Also I have never managed to fathom out how to send email in bulk with Outlook Express so is I just resort to COPY and PASTE to send each individualy.

http://sionet.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by GordonSweet View Post
            Also I have never managed to fathom out how to send email in bulk with Outlook Express so is I just resort to COPY and PASTE to send each individualy.
            Just add each address into the BCC line and seperate then with a semicolon ;
            Make sure you put one (1) address into the To: line. Also, you could find that your ISP may limit the number of recipients in each email sent. This is done to stop their mail servers being used by spammers sending massive bulk emails. One ISP I used to use had the limit set to 50.

With the Copy & Paste method, I hope you clean out the Sent folder frequently.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks for tips.

I have to clean out my sent and delete boxes each day along with over 200 spam in my Orange Junk folder as I run a daily news page for a Seniors Forum.

Anyone found anything interesting on my main site?

http://sionet.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/

Comment

Working...
              X