Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding Emails to Address Book

Hey guys,

I have a customer who claims she used to see an option for adding an Email Address to her Address Book in an email. NOT "Add to Outlook Contacts"

She could right click on an Email Address in an Email and there would be that option to add the Email Address to her Address Book. I recently formatted and reinstalled everything and restored her Emails due to a hard drive failure. She's using what she had before, Outlook 2003 Professional.

Please see my attachment below. This is what it looks like on my PC since I have Outlook 2007, but apparently there was a button to make it add to her Address Book instead?

Sam
    Attached Files

Re: Adding Emails to Address Book

Did you add the Personal Address Book to her Outlook when you reinstalled the app on her machine?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi biggles,

Is this the same as the Outlook Address Book? She can go up to Tools - Address Book and in the Address Book it shows no entries, but if she clicks on Contacts, it shows some, but not all Email Address since she never used Contacts.

I'm pretty sure I installed the complete package of Office...but like I said, apparrently she had a shortcut where you can right click on the address and send it to the Address Book, not Contacts?

Comment

The PAB is not the same as the OAB. If the OAB is installed, delete it and reinstall it. This may fix the problem of the addresses not showing up in Contacts when she adds them to OAB.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hey Biggles ,

I looked on my Mom's Outlook 2003, and she doesn't have that feature either.

I did a little bit of research and I guess they got rid of what my client is looking for. It used to be called "Add Sender to Address Book," which apparently, is only in Outlook Express. She's always used the Office Outlook version, so I have no idea how she could have had it.

From what I've been playing with, it looks like "Add Sender to Address Book" was replaced with "Add to Outlook Contacts." So anytime when you right click on an Email address and add it, it adds to the Contacts list, which I guess is stored in the OAB (or PAB)? Whatever...I guess it's the same exact thing from what I've played with. When I click "To," it shows the Email Address I added to my Contacts.

One more thing... where do the recent Email Addresses you type in manually in the To box, are stored? Ex. Type in the first character and it automatically shows the address? I've noticed (and she's noticed) that these get erased sometimes.. I hope it's not taking it from the Contacts list and deleting it? It's like as if it acts like a history folder?

Sam

Comment

PAB (Personal Address Book) is a seperate file that the addresses are stored and you can choose where you want to locate the file. OAB (Outlook Address Book) was a bit different and you got no choice where to store it. The line between OAB and Contacts now gets a bit fuzzy for me as I always used a PAB so I could choose where to locate it. I believe it change a bit in Office 2003 and the OAB was more intergrated into Outlook's PST (someone will correct me if I get too far off track) and in effect the OAB disappeared even though you can still add it into Outlook.

In Outlook 2000, if you had the PAB installed you did get a right click option to Add to Personal Address Book and it may have even been there for Outlook 2003 but by that time I was using Contacts. Office 2007 (Outlook) only has the Add to Contacts option and haven't loooked any further at adding additional address books as I have no need of them.

The email address that populate the To: bar when you type the first letter are stored in the Outlook.NK2 file located at C:\Documents and Settings\useraccount\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook and does not delete anything from Contacts. The NK2 file can be edited or rather addresses can be removed from the file. For more detail information/instructions on using the NK2 file, see the following links. http://www.mrtweak.com/software-micr...address-field/ and http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/outlook...ocomplete.html
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Outlook Address Book is a service; you have to link it to an actual list of addresses. You can have a "Contacts" folder from an Exchange mailbox or PST file, or a PAB file, or even (if you're off your head) a WAB (Windows Address Book) file. It's been like this since at least Outlook 97, maybe even earlier.

To have Outlook validate addresses in the "To" field automatically from an Address List, the list has to be configured as an "Outlook Address Book". This is done differently in different versions of Outlook. In Outlook 2003, you have to click on the "Address Book" icon in the toolbar, and then click "Tools, Options" in the dialog that comes up. The option to make it an Outlook Address Book is in there. If it isn't one, the "Add to Address Book" option does not appear.

Tom
              For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Thank you Biggles, and thank you Stonelaughter (and congrats on MVM !).

I'm experimenting with Outlook 2003 on my Mom's laptop and all she has is "Add to Outlook Contacts", not "Add Sender to Address Book" too. I did some Googling and I guess in 2003/2007, the Contacts menu IS the Outlook Address Book and has the same functionality, etc. as ? It's already configured and pulling the Contacts from the OAB...but no Add to Address Book option.

I'm just puzzled how the heck she could have had the "Add Sender to Address Book" option if she's always used Outlook 2003 (never upgraded from an earlier version) and never used Outlook Express. OE seems to be the only Windows program that has this button unless you're using MS Entourage for Mac or a web-email like Gmail!

Maybe I just need to explain to her that using Add to Outlook Contacts isnt any different from Add Sender to Address Book?

Sam
                Last edited by stommy989; 28th July 2007, 18:58.

Comment

It **IS** the same. You're telling me you had that option all along?! FFS.

BTW MVM was a month or so ago but thanks for the congrats LOL.

Tom
                  For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Well I made myself clear from my first post I did have that option, even with my screenshot, but I didn't realize after a little bit of research that it's basically the same thing, only it's called something else now!

Comment

Working...
                    X