No announcement yet.

Auto setup of Exchange Account in Outlook

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto setup of Exchange Account in Outlook

Hello all,

In the past I've used the Custom tool to deploy Office 2003 with settings for Outlook to fill in the Exchange server and username, so they open Outlook 2003 for the first time and it loads their mailbox without prompting them.

I'm now at a company where we have an Exchange 2003 server, and both Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007 clients (obviously not both simultaneously on the same machine).

Since MS, took the view to not let anyone except those who purchase an enterprise version of 2007 from them to be able to custom install, I need another method for the 2007, and ideally again for the 2003 (as they're all already installed on the clients here).

I found the "Automatically configure profile based on Active Directory Primary SMTP Address" option in Outlook 2007 ADM file in Group Policy, however, surprise surprise this only works with Exchange 2007. Despite MS info saying it will look up the user's mailbox server from AD and set it up for older Exchange servers, it DOESN'T work.

The client instead gets the full CN name and can't work out to chop it down to the server name on the end, if I do that manually and click check name it works....

Does anyone have any advice out there for auto setting up BOTH Outlook 2003 and 2007 with an Exchange 2003 server automatically?

Edit: Without using some third party application? If it's a small script I can put in a login.bat fine, but no "profile creators" please.