Problems deleting Contact in Outlook 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems deleting Contact in Outlook 2003

Hello, I have a problem. One of our users has a Contact listed in her personal contacts that does not have an email. Consequently, anything she sends to this person does not get there. I have tried to delete the Contact and update the Contact. It seems like it's working fine - doesn't give any error messages or anything - but when it's finished, the Contact is still there and not changed. We are running Windows XP with Outlook 2003. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this annoyance?

Re: Problems deleting Contact in Outlook 2003

What kind of "Contacts" folder is her default? Is it the default "Contacts" folder in her mailbox? Is it a folder in a PST file? Is it a Windows Address Book file? Is it a Personal Address Book file? Is it a Lotus Notes contacts entry? Have you tried to send to the email address and not to the stored contact? Have you tried to add an email address to the contact, and then send?

Can you see that by giving us all the information about the problem, we will be better placed to help you?

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Thank you. It's the default Contacts under her Outlook Address Book in Outlook 2003.

Manually entering in the person's email allows her to send to that person. You cannot add an email address to this contact for some reason. It acts like it will but doesn't change anything once it's done processing. Trying to delete the contact results in the same thing - lots of thinking and processing from the workstation but no change when done and no error messages.

This is definitely something that can be worked around but it's the CEO's secretary and the CEO is the Contact that is messed up so I'm trying to fix it if at all possible.

Comment

Quietly copy/move everything else to a new OAB file, create a new contact for the CEO and terminate the old file with extreme prejudice!
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

OK. That seems simple enough except there are 6 oab files. Which one do I choose to delete? Thank you so much for your quick help!

Comment

Originally posted by skylarksmh View Post
            OK. That seems simple enough except there are 6 oab files. Which one do I choose to delete? Thank you so much for your quick help!
            Damn, my psychic powers must have been off. I completely missed anything referring to 6 address books .

Can you open them one at a time or export them one at a time, then delete each file after you have done so?
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I'll find help elsewhere. Thanks for your time.

Comment

I'll find help elsewhere. Thanks for your time.
                Hmmm not very grateful that is it???

You did fail to mention that there were 6 address books, not good, and then you were told to open them one by one then delete the offending one so whats the problem with that??

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                  Hmmm not very grateful that is it???
                  I DID thank him for his time. What I wanted was help not thinly veiled sarcasm. I'm married with teenagers, I already get plenty of that. Thanks again.

Comment

I DID thank him for his time. What I wanted was help not thinly veiled sarcasm. I'm married with teenagers, I already get plenty of that. Thanks again.
                    Well, then don't marry teenagers.

Tom
                    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

If I caused offence by my comment, I apologise. I included a smilie to show I intended it as a joke, then posted some, hopefully helpful, advice.
                      Tom Jones
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

Comment

Working...
                      X