Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contact window layout and fields different on computers

Hi,

I have come across a weird problem and can't seem to be able to figure it out :

Two Outlook 2003 (both SP2, with all updates till now) display the same contacts in a different format. Different fields are displayed with different layout. This causes confusion, because these two people fill out different fields when they add new contacts to a public folder.

First computer :
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Computer1_2.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	467721

Second computer :

Name:	Other_Computers_2.JPG
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	467722

For example the "Department" field is missing on the first, but the main difference is that the "Full name" and "Business" buttons don't exist on the second.

Here is what pops up when I click them :

Name:	Click_Business_Computer1_2.JPG
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	467723

Name:	Click_FullName_Computer1_2.JPG
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	467724

Someone gave me a tip that the first computer could be outlook BCM version (Business Contact Manager). I'm not sure if it really depends on the version, but I tried many outlook CDs and couldn't find any that looks like the first screenshot. ( in fact I don't know how to tell if one is BCM v. or not) One thing is for sure : if I install BCM as an Office update it will not be the same as on the very first screenshot. It creates a new contact folder which looks somewhat similar, but the other contact folders still display contacts in the old format.

Could someone point me to the right direction?

Thanks
    Akos

Re: Contact window layout and fields different on computers

Look at the properties of the contact folder and see if both are using the same type of form. On the "General"properties page check that "When posting to this folder, use" is set to IPM.Contact.
    The first computer is the default type.
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

I can't get to any computer that looks like the first one for a while. I will provide feedback about that later.

Computers like the second computer :

"Look at the properties of the contact folder and see if both are using the same type of form"
      Do you mean this : right click contact folder/Properties/Forms ?
      For me this window is empty:

Name:	Form.JPG
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	463183

"check that "When posting to this folder, use" is set to IPM.Contact."
      This is selected by default and even if I change it, it changes back after I reopen this window.

Comment

Hi,

Problem solved :
        when I was completely confused and about to give up (already contacted Microsoft Support twice) a friend suggested that maybe the contact window's layout has something to do with the language settings:

Well it did :
        computer1's language for non-unicode programs was set to English(UK) while the other computers' language settings for non-unicode programs was set to Chinese(PRC)
        I'm astonished. I can't see what considerations are behind this design. I can't see how language settings can have anything to do with Outlook's contact functionality, but I guess I'll just have to accept it.

Akos

Comment

Microsoft are very culturally sensitive. This may be one reason.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
          X