Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archive folder size

Hello All:
    I have a client using Outlook 2003, that has thousands of e-mails. She has an archive folder and went in and deleted over half of it but the size of the PST did not change much. How does folder size in properties relate to PST file size? I need to copy this file to disk and mail it so that it can be converted to a remote exchange server. I would like to make it as small as possible. I am compacting it now and will see what that does. I just dont see how deleting half of ot does not reduce the PST file size much.

Any help is appreciated,

Bill

Re: Archive folder size

Did you try to compact the file after you deleted the items??

Comment

Yes I did, but it took 2 hours to run. Shouldn't the file size change without having to compact it?

Comment

Originally posted by bschuteker View Post
        Yes I did, but it took 2 hours to run. Shouldn't the file size change without having to compact it?
        Nope.

As far as i'm aware it keeps the existing space and that becomes 'white' space within the actual file. If you then add to the file the size will not change until such times as all the white space is used up.

Compacting the PST will delete this space from the file thus giving you a smaller file size.

Hope this make sense.

Comment

Working...
        X