Sharing address books

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharing address books

OK... I know we can share contacs folders and use addresses from the shared contacts folder pretty much like you can anything else. HOWEVER - can you "add" a shared Calendar as an "Outlook Address Book"? (i.e. so that it will automatically resolve addresses from (a) The local contacts folder, (b) the shared contacts folder and finally (c) the GAL?)

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Re: Sharing address books

What.... NOBODY?!?!

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

question doesn't make any sense to me
      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

OK... you can have as many "Contacts" folders as you like; and you can browse to them and right-click a contact and select "Send mail to".

HOWEVER, to be able to type a name from a "Contacts" folder into the "To" box on an email and have Outlook recognise it, you have to configure that Contacts folder as an "Outlook Address Book". If you do not, the "To" box will never resolve the recipient. The default Contacts folder is by default an Outlook Address Book, and so is the Global Address List. However additional contacts folders have to be added as address books manually.

What I'm trying to find out is, is it possible to add SOMEONE ELSE'S contacts folder, which they have shared and you have connected to, as one of your Outlook Address Books?

Tom

Comment

I don't think you can if that user already has the file opened.

Comment

File? What file? I'm talking about a shared contacts folder in a user's mailbox...

Tom

Comment

Sorry i'm having a bad day here and got confused.

It should be possible and a quick browse found this. Please note i have not tried this so cannot guarantee it will work.

The process of adding another user's Contacts folder to your own address book display is somewhat involved:
              Create a new Outlook profile that connects directly with the other user's mailbox, not your own, then start Outlook with this profile. If you receive a prompt that Outlook cannot open the folders, you may need to ask the Exchange administrator to grant your Windows user account full access to the other user's mailbox temporarily so that you can complete these steps.

Right-click the other user's Contacts folder, choose Properties, then switch to the Outlook Address Book tab. Make sure that the Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book box is checked. Under Name of the address book, change the displayname from Contacts (the default) to a name that will distinguish this address list, such as Joe's Contacts if you're in Joe's mailbox.

Close Outlook.

In Control Panel | Mail, bring up the properties for the profile that you created in Step 1. In the Microsoft Exchange Server service, change the main mailbox from the other user's to your own. On the Advanced tab of the Exchange Server service, add the other user's mailbox as a secondary mailbox.

Restart Outlook, using the same profile as in Steps 1 and 4.

After you restart Outlook, when you display the address book, you should see Joe's Contacts listed in the Outlook Address Book along with your own Contacts folder.
              Taken from here

http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/oloabpf.htm

Comment

Working...
              X