Header information possible security risk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Header information possible security risk

If you use use Outlook, open and external e-mail and go to View>Options and look in the Internet headers section, you can see the exchange server that was used to send you the e-mail

i did a quick search and didn't find anything, is there a way to stop other Exchange using companies seeing our exchange server?
    changed

Re: Header information possible security risk

Yes, use Hotmail.

Luke, look up MX Record and see what it does and how it works.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Luke,

I take it you are using DNS to send your outgoing mail, rather than sending it by smarthost to your ISP? If so, then your public IP address could have a PTR record that resolves to it and this may tell the outside world that you exist as an Exchange server.

Have you got, as Biggles77 refers to, an MX record pointing to your public IP address? If so, there is no secrecy there, and if you do stop other Exchange servers seeing yours, nobody will be able to send you mail! It's a bit like trying to stop the postman seeing your letterbox - how useful is that?
      Best wishes,
      PaulH.
      MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Luke,

There is no real way to hide your mail server.

Alot of the stuff in the headers is of course required, RFC8122 i think.

Have a read at this

http://www.bath.ac.uk/bucs/email/anatomy.shtml

Comment

Alright guys, i'll look up the words and check out that website, it's not really my job to check this out, but it worried me a bit, so i thought i'd ask

cheers guys
          changed

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Murgatroyd View Post
            Alright guys, i'll look up the words and check out that website, it's not really my job to check this out, but it worried me a bit, so i thought i'd ask

cheers guys
            Unfortunately every email you send and receive has this information on it.

I actually find it useful when trying to diagnose some issues with spam emails and such to check the header and see where it came from.

Don't let it worry you.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Murgatroyd View Post

cheers guys
              Luke, it is your job if you want to learn about this stuff. The more you know the better off you are. Have a read and then come back with questions of the parts you don't understand. Ok. You will never stop learning in this profession.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                Luke, it is your job if you want to learn about this stuff. The more you know the better off you are. Have a read and then come back with questions of the parts you don't understand. Ok. You will never stop learning in this profession.
                oh, do i know that i'm always learning something new, it's just i've got to balance it between learning something new, and doing things i need to do for work
                changed

Comment

Working...
                X