Lost contacts in Outlook 2000

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost contacts in Outlook 2000

I've just sorted out a machine for someone who had a corrupt pst file - had reached its limitation of 2GB and so had the nightmare scenario of running the PST2GB and Scanpst utilities several times at around 45 minutes each time

I eventually copied his pst file across the network to another machine with Outlook 2003, where it was a bit more stable when opening the pst file. I created 2 new pst files and from the corrupt one, copied the files evenly between the 2 new pst files. I sent the 2 new pst files back to the users machine and put them into Outlook 2000.

Outlook is now usable, but his contacts are now missing! He's lost some emails as well, but I informed him that would happen using the PST2GB tool.

Questions here are:

Is the address book part of the pst file?

When using the PST2GB tool to shed some of the size of the pst file, can it actually knock off the contacts/address book during this process?

Grateful for any help.

Re: Lost contacts in Outlook 2000

Did you try installing Outlook 2003 on his PC and them importing/converting his stuffed PST file? Outlook 2003 can handle a bit more than 2GB in its format.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

No, because he didn't have a licence for 2003. But even if we did, it was an old 97-2002 type pst that would still need fixing anyway.

He still can't find his contacts.

Comment

Have you had a look here. http://www.slipstick.com/problems/repair2gbpst.htm Not the PST2GB but the iHex editor mentioned in the second paragraph. Do you have a copy of the original PST to work on? If so, make a copy of it before your try anything. First time might stuff it up but you could learn what to remove next time.

Of course there is the alternative. Tell him because he held onto so many old emails that probably could have been deleted then there is no way to retrieve his contacts. Might be a bit more prudent in the future. Contacts could be re added by right clicking the adressee name from emails in the Sent Items.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Is it possible to actually lose contacts when using the PST2GB tool?

Comment

Working...
          X