Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attachments being displayed in Outlook 2000 when there aren't any!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attachments being displayed in Outlook 2000 when there aren't any!

I've just wiped a laptop clean for a customer. I've installed Windows XP and Office Pro 2000.

I've applied all the service packs for Office - SR-1, SP2 and then SP3.

In Outlook I downloaded about 50 new emails for him, and about 45 of them the had attachment paperclip beside the message. Most of the emails are from people he gets regular email from and they never send him attachments.

Customer is in a panic over this, and I can't find the answer either! And I'm sure you can guess where the blame is going?

What is the simple answer for this? Basically, if there ain't an attachment, I don't want the attachment symbol.

Help gratefully appreciated.

Re: Attachments being displayed in Outlook 2000 when there aren't any!

Don't Panic.
    Usually its a signature or other stationary from the sender that get rendered in outlook as if there is no attachment.
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

If you are not using Word as your email editor (not suggesting you do), save one of the emails off in RTF format then go in Word and see what kind of embedded pictures, etc. you find.
      Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Had to go out and visit the customer for another problem anyway, but whilst there discovered the problem.

What was happening is that I had temporarily put AVG Antivirus on the system while he was searching for his Norton CD. The result was any emails being sent by plain text format just had the AVG certification at the bottom of any emails. The ones that were sent in HMTL format (most of them) was putting the AVG certification into a text file, hence the attachment.

But I have seen a similar thing with Outlook Express in the past where anything in HTML format displayed an attachment despite not having one. Bit wierd.

Anyway, panic over. Thanks for those suggestions.

Comment

Excellent, glad you solved it. Thanks for taking the time to post back the solution.
          "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Working...
          X