Outlook 2003 Company Contacts Compatability

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook 2003 Company Contacts Compatability

I have a dilema, my office uses outlook 2000 because of its ability to have company contacts and sync them to a PDA (using third party software). Is this by any chance built into Office 2003? The PDA that is necessary (if one is avaliable) does not make a difference we are buying new PDAs when we upgrade our Outlook. Also a PDA phone would be our preffered device?

This is a big functionality issue for us, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also does Outlook 2003 support any kind of shared company contacts as well as shared calendars? This information would be greatly appreciated. My research has not come up with a difinitive answer.

Thank you for your support.

John

Re: Outlook 2003 Company Contacts Compatability

Outlook supports shared folders with Exchange back end (there are 3rd party alternatives but Exchange is the best solution).

As far as accessing them from mobile devices goes, it is possible via http from exchange. You should probably talk to your current software provider as I would be very surprised if there is no update for Office 2003.

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Exchange is very expensive...we have a small six man engineering firm. We don't want the responsibility of running an exchange server on site since the closest thing we have to an IT department is me.

John

Comment

I know that there is a product called "Microsoft Active Sync" but I have no idea how to get it, or what it comes bundled with.

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
          I know that there is a product called "Microsoft Active Sync" but I have no idea how to get it, or what it comes bundled with.
          Active Sync is free (bundled with Windows PDAs) but it is limited in what it will sync with outlook/exchange
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Active Sync 4.2. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobi...ivesync42.mspx
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

there is Business Contact Manager that allows you to share contacts between office 2003 users (only). The shared calender is something I am still looking for, I imagine its the next feature coming (please......)

Almost all PDA's (Palm, Windows mobile, Blackberry) come with some sort of syncing with outlook, though outside of exchange it is on a one on one basis. (one outlook to one PDA). I have not yet tried it with BCM yet, if you do please share.
              "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Originally posted by noochstyle View Post
                Exchange is very expensive...we have a small six man engineering firm. We don't want the responsibility of running an exchange server on site since the closest thing we have to an IT department is me.

John
                Missed this first time through, but Small Business Server 2003 is an extremely cost effective way to have Exchange, ISA, SQL, etc. Getting Exchange this way is NOT espensive.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                X