Outlook 03 Files to Backup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook 03 Files to Backup

I presently use automated software to backup files as they change to an external HD.

Can someone tell me which files from MS Outlook 03 to include in my back up set please?

Re: Outlook 03 Files to Backup

Some more info needed:
    - what server are you working with?
    - what do you want to backup? Only mails, contacts and calendar?
    - do you have rules defined?
    With this data we will be able to give better response.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Hello.
      Commonly you have to backup only the main PST file ( I think you are talking about POP3 account and not an Exchange client), there are 2 ways to do it:
      1: copy manually the pst file or schedule it to the backup device (ntbackup is good too) the Outlook should be closed.
      2: You can use PST Backup tool (addin for MS Outlook)
      http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
      this tool is configurable.
      And again if you are talking about the Exchange environment then there are other steps to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
        Some more info needed:
        - what server are you working with?
        - what do you want to backup? Only mails, contacts and calendar?
        - do you have rules defined?
        With this data we will be able to give better response.
        The data that I want to back up is mails, contacts and calendar. I was in hopes that I could simpl add the particular data files or whatever to the back up set. I am using Iomega Backup Pro and backing up to and external hard drive. It back ups any file in the backup set when it changes.

Thanks

Comment

Why not just select your Profile (username) under Documents and Settings and backup everything under your profile.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Wouldn't that be a waste? It's true that backing up the whole profile contains everything you will ever need in case of a crash... And there is the Open Files issue to take care about...
            After all, to back up the mails, the PST file should be enough. And Outlook should be closed during backup.
            I would use the PST Backup Add-on to copy the PST file to another location and then use the backup tool to do its job.

Added: Ooooops! That's exactly what Mike_comsol said. Sorry....
            Last edited by sorinso; 14th January 2007, 20:49.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

For Outlook Backups you should use Outlook Express Backup Genie. This is the tool i use when i need do make a quick backup.
              I like it cause it can backup all data related to Outlook even the settings. Also you are able to schedule your backups and protect them with a password.
              If you want to try it, you can get it from http://www.amicutilities.com/outlook-express-backup/

Comment

Just to clarify, despite it's name, that Outlook-Express-backup does also backup MS Outlook PST files too.

Personally, I use Mike_comsol's suggestion on some of my client's (non-Exchange) Outlook files and it works very well. And it is free.
                Best wishes,
                PaulH.
                MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Working...
                X