Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook2003 PST file compacting

Hello, guys.
    We have Outlook2003 running on staff's computers. Their PST files are residing on a server, for backup purposes.
    These files are getting bigger and bigger lately. I want to try and compact them.
    Is there any way to do it in a centralized mode? A command line?

TIA.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Re: Outlook2003 PST file compacting

AKAIK the only way to compact a PST is manually.

Somone will no doubt be along to correct me.

Comment

I concur with WullieB. I would also say that a PST file's design environment is a single computer; they are not designed to work over a network. Outlook holds the file open for write at all times, and if you lose your network connection...

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

We seldom loose network connection, but it happened. In very few cases we had to run the PST repair utility. Never lost a PST file.
        But the backup issue is very important. And there's no way I will start backing up almost 100 stations.
        It looks like our support team is out for a walk

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
          We seldom loose network connection, but it happened. In very few cases we had to run the PST repair utility. Never lost a PST file.
          But the backup issue is very important. And there's no way I will start backing up almost 100 stations.
          It looks like our support team is out for a walk
          We have simply disabled user's PST files capability and made them use Enterprise KVault LOL. However, other organisations I have worked with have varied from no PST File management at all (disastrous) to environments where good user training prevailed and the users kept their PST file sizes manageable, split their data into several files, and backed them up regularly themselves. In these latter environments, the users happily accepted responsibility for backing up their own PST's. (Simply dragging a copy of their "PST" folder to their home drive was sufficient; their home drive was backed up every night)...

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

I'm in one of those organization that workers are not so computer-oriented and good practices settles very slow. This morning I had a discussion with my boss, about the different courses of actions available to change the PST situation. Among them was to compact the PSTs (hence the question ) and advice them to split their files (we all know that maybe 50% of the stuff we all keep is not work-related: pictures of friends and family, funny movies, presentations, recipes and so on). I can already see it will be such a mess...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

PSTManager
              Large Outlook .PST files become unstable and users risk losing all their data. They also waste a lot of hard disk space. PSTManager transparently compacts and reduces the size of all .PST files, without any end-user action. PSTManager is a standalone program transparent to the user. By using the standard compaction of Outlook, it automates the maintenance of .PST files and minimizes the need for archiving or deleting messages. It also speeds up access to stored messages. Compaction is processed, whether Outlook is open or not.

Features added: File directory selection; Creation of dynamic .PST files list; Management of any Outlook .PST files

* Company: AddOnMail
              * URL: www.addonmail.com
              * Email: [email protected]

* Users' Rating: 4.75 [4 votes] - Vote
              * Comments: 0 comments - Post

PSTCompress
              PSTCompress is a way to manage PST file compression. Starting a PST compact for every individual PST file is almost impossible. PSTCompress is the safe solution that adds a flexible scheduling mechanism to the whole PST compacting mechanism. PSTCompress automatically fires off a job at the desired time and stops when you want it to stop. This can be done in the weekend or whenever you like. No intervention needed! Additionally, PSTCompress lets you configure the way you want to compact the PST's. You can start a PST compact manually or by using a schedule. You can decide to empty the deleted items, clean out the sent items or even zip attachments prior to starting the PST compact exercise.

Features include: Server based PST compacting;Reorganizes PST files safely; Scheduled activation; Reduces backup times; Reduces PST corruptions; Includes folder housekeeping; Includes attachment zipping; Command Line Interface.

* Company: Groupware Software
              * URL: www.groupware-software.com

* Users' Rating: 4.7 [10 votes] - Vote

PSTSync
              PSTSync provides bi-directional folder synchronization as well as powerful SmartMove and SmartCopy functions where users can synchronize, move or copy each and every Outlook mail folder, including custom created folders without having to have open Outlook! Synchronizations can be automated with built in Scheduling functionality. PSTSync offers accurate and secure 128 Bit PST file encryption and decryption using RSA algorithms for locking your data from prying eyes. For users who might find encryption a little intimidating, PSTSync also offers password protection for adding a password to a PST file. Bloated PST file will become more manageable by using the specifically designed PST File Compression tool to put your PST file on a diet! Users will also benefit from backing up their PST files to an online location for safe archiving. PSTSync also offers a built-in file viewer to view your PST files. Users will be able to crack open a PST file to view the emails, contacts, notes and any other Outlook folder all within PSTSync, no need to open it up in Outlook.

* Company: Aminsoft LLC
              * URL: www.aminsoft.com
              * Screenshot: click here
              * Price: $59.99

* Users' Rating: 4.43 [7 votes] - Vote

PSTCompactor
              PSTCompactor centralizes PST file management and reduces PST file sizes across the Enterprise. Recover wasted space, compress (zip) attachments, automate compaction, etc. Its Rules-based engine enables selective message processing, simplifying management and implementation of corporate Email Policies. PSTCompactor is designed to manage PST files throughout the company and automatically locates mailboxes on the network. Installation does not require changes to your Exchange server nor installation on client PCs.

* Company: Xemplify IT
              * URL: www.XemplifyIT.com
              * Price: $299/server

* Users' Rating: 3 [2 votes] - Vote

PST Policy Administrator
              PST Policy Administrator automatically compacts PST files to recover deleted PST storage space, reduce the risk of corrupted PST files and ensure that compaction occurs without any user intervention. PST Policy Administrator also allows administrators to keep PST storage in check by deleting aged or large attachments and messages. Once PST Policy Administrator has cleaned up the PST file, it can automatically compact the data and free up additional storage to complete the storage reclamation process.

Features include: Automate the compaction of PST files; Search for PST files from a network file path; Zip attachments; Export/move attachments; Report on attachments by sender, name, size, age; Delete messages and attachments; Move messages; Report on messages/attachments by sender, size, age (server/network based PST files only)

* Company: Sherpa Software
              * URL: www.sherpasoftware.com

* Users' Rating: 3 [2 votes] - Vote

PSTCompact
              PSTCompact Enterprise Edition is designed to compact your PST files automatically. PSTCompact is an easy to use PST compacting utility with features like: compacting hundreds of PST file in circular mode; scheduling PST compacting by group; processing PST files by group; emptying deleted items folder (optional); cleaning sent items folder by date (optional); manual processing option; explores the server for PST files.

PSTCompact: supports all Outlook file formats (97-2003); can be installed on Windows XP Pro, Windows2000 and Windows2003; supports mapped drive PST compacting.

* Company: PST Software
              * URL: www.pstcompact.com

Comment

Thanks for the info. I will check them.
                I am interested in a tool that will run on the file server, and not something that will need to be installed on every computer.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Note: jluis' post is a copy from here:

http://www.msexchange.org/software/PST-Management/
                  ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

10nx, Wired.
                    It looks like something copied from somewhere (with ratings, votes and all), but it's still info...
                    It's your decision if there's a misconduct ...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

jluis has received a 2 week ban for posting copied work and not giving the author the appropriate and deserved credit.

10) Give credit to who ever deserves it, and if possible, a link to where you got your information/tools from

We will not get our hands dirty with legal issues just because some reader chose to copy/paste an entire KB without getting permission and without at least saying where the information was taken from, plus providing a link to the original material. If you chose to quote an answer found elsewhere, you are required to also give credit to the original poster, AND give the URL from where you took it from. Do NOT paste answers that someone else wrote and claim them to be your own (even and especially from other sites). It is not our responsibility to check every answer you post, but if we catch you breaking this rule we will ban you immediately!
                      Fortunately for jluis the ban period is not specified at this point in time so in my goodness I have imposed the minimum period.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                      X