Outlook 2003 - pauses every few seconds on new laptop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook 2003 - pauses every few seconds on new laptop

Hi guys, I have a very frustrating problem with a brand new Dell Inspiron 9400. A client bought two of these laptops and wanted them setup on their network (Server 2003 Standard DC, SP1 and a new Exchange 2003 Standard server, SP2).

Laptop A went without a hitch. When it booted I uninstalled the McAfee software that came pre-installed as they use NAV 10.0.1 on their network. Also I'd read reports of Outlook 2003 running very slowly on systems with McAfee installed. I assigned the laptop a static IP and joined it to the domain (no dhcp server on the network). Then I installed the Office 2003 Basic edition that came bundled with the laptop. No problems with the installation and no problems connecting to the exchange server. The user setup on this laptop has yet to start with the company so his mailbox is tiny and took no time for Outlook to sync with the exchange server.

Laptop B was setup by my colleague and she followed the same procedure outlined above except the user setup on the laptop is with the company a while and has a 900MB mailbox. It was during and after Outlook had sync'd with the exchange server that the problems began to occur. Basically Outlook would pause for 10-15 seconds, work fine for about 5-10 seconds (toolbar menus opened quickly as did e-mails) and then pause again etc. Both office and excel were able to open files without any problems.

Suspecting something wrong with the installation of Outlook 2003, I uninstalled it and installed Office XP. Same issues so I restored the operating system (using the Dell restore feature) to delete all registry entries and tried again. Same thing with Outlook so me and my colleague are left scratching our heads!

So for all of you who've had the patience to read this far, my questions really are:

When Outlook on the problem laptop was syncing with exchange, the user was logged into the domain on his PC and accessing his mailbox with Outlook 2000. Are there any problems with setting up a user's mailbox on a different machine while he's still accessing it from his PC?

As I said at the start, the exchange server has only recently been installed on the network (3 weeks ago). Previously they were using a netpilot for pop3 e-mail so we created .pst files of their personal folders through their Outlook clients and imported them into their mailboxes after we setup the exchange server account on their machines. Is it possible or even likely the users mailbox was corrupted during this process?

Last but not least is this nothing to do with Outlook and all to do with a faulty laptop?

What I'd like to try on Monday morning is to setup another user on the laptop and see if Outlook behaves the same way after setting up their exchange account. Any help, suggestions or tips would be most appreciated as this is buggin the crap outta me!

Kieran.
    Last edited by kieranbass; 9th December 2006, 15:19.

Re: Outlook 2003 - pauses every few seconds on new laptop

1) is outlook running in cached mode?
    2) what is the timeout for the HD to switch off? (check also at the BIOS level in power options)
    Attached Files
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Originally posted by Lior_S View Post
      1) is outlook running in cached mode?
      2) what is the timeout for the HD to switch off? (check also at the BIOS level in power options)

Hi Lior_S and thanks for the reply!

1) Yes, Outlook is running in cached mode

2) I had the settings to turn off hard drives and monitor after 5 hours and to never for system standby and hibernate. Will have to wait until Monday to check the BIOS settings.

Kieran.
      Last edited by kieranbass; 9th December 2006, 05:02.

Comment

Turn off the Network scan on the anti-virus. (Remove the tick) and see if that helps.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	SAV-Network.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	462825
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
          Turn off the Network scan on the anti-virus. (Remove the tick) and see if that helps.
          [ATTACH]940[/ATTACH]

Howdy Biggles77.

I should have made it clear that even though I uninstalled McAfee from the problem laptop I never installed the NAV client from the server! My bad....

However on Laptop A we did install NAV and Outlook works perfectly on it. Still puzzled by this - both laptops are identical!

Thanks for the reply.

Kieran.

Comment

It doesn't matter where you install SAV from, Network scanning is enabled by default. Installing from a CD onto a standalone client will still enable Network scan. Are you using 10.1.5? There is a new version 10.2.x due out in Jan 2007.

If laptop works ok and one doesn't, sit them side by side and compare settings. Something may jump out.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
              It doesn't matter where you install SAV from, Network scanning is enabled by default. Installing from a CD onto a standalone client will still enable Network scan. Are you using 10.1.5? There is a new version 10.2.x due out in Jan 2007.

If laptop works ok and one doesn't, sit them side by side and compare settings. Something may jump out.

You've picked me up wrong here, NAV isn't installed on the problem laptop. We install the NAV client on machines remotely from the server which is what I was referring to above but never got round to it on the problem laptop due to the Outlook issue. Sorry for the confusion.

NAV version is actually 10.0.1, not 10.1 as I stated earlier. Will edit.

As for comparing settings, I've done that with regard to the local area connection properties on both machines and both are the same apart from their IP addresses. Are there some network settings in Outlook that I should compare?

Comment

OK after much more head scratching I believe the reason we're having this problem is because the user is accessing the same mailbox from 2 versions of Outlook and Outlook 2003 doesn't like it. Everything I've read suggests it should be the older version of Outlook acting up, not the newer version!

Tomorrow I'll try exporting to a .pst file from the Outlook 2000 client, create a new mail profile, delete and then purge the users mailbox, create a new mailbox, open Outlook 2003 on the laptop to create a new .pst file and import the .pst file from the Outlook 2000 client. Hopefully no more pauses, hangs or crashes.

Kieran.

Comment

We always turn cached mode as we found this causes 'pauses'. Just something else for you to try.
                  Server 2000 MCP
                  Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by tonyyeb View Post
                    We always turn cached mode as we found this causes 'pauses'. Just something else for you to try.
                    Hi Tonyeb and thanks for the suggestion. I'd already tried this but no cure unfortunately.

The reason why Outlook was pausing every few seconds was the cpu spiking to 100% every few seconds. During these spikes only Outlook was affected, other office apps ran fine. After a bit of research I disabled Word as the e-mail editor and disabled/removed all the suggested Com add ins but to no avail. So having googled some more it seems to be Outlook 2003 trying to use a non-unicode .pst file and not liking it.

Anyway the solution to my prob was to open the .pst file in Outlook 2003 (File -> Data File Management -> Add -> Outlook 97-2002 Personal Folders File) instead of importing it and simply to drag and drop his e-mails and folders from the personal folders to the mailbox. As I type Outlook is synching with the exchange server and Outlook is responding quickly when I select a toolbar, change between e-mail folders etc compared to the 10-15 second delays I was experiencing yesterday. No more spikes, woohoo!

Thanks to everyone for their tips and suggestions.

Kieran

Comment

Glad to hear your problem is resolved.
                      Server 2000 MCP
                      Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                      X