Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

O2k3: "open another user's mailbox" not available offline?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O2k3: "open another user's mailbox" not available offline?

Hi there,

I have outlook configured using HTTP with a cached mailbox, plus I also have the 'advanced' setting of 'open these other mailboxes' set to open one additional set of folders.

Now when I am on the network all is fine, and I can access both folder trees. But when I disconnect from the network I can only access the cached mail in the main mailbox - not in the additional mailbox. I just get the generic 'the set of folders could not be opened' error.

Can someone help me make both sets of folders usable offline please?

Re: O2k3: "open another user's mailbox" not available offline?

I would need to check, but AFAIK only the primary mailbox is cached.
    You could always create multiple outlook profiles, each one opening a separate mailbox and caching it.

Alternatively you could create a rule to move messages from the additional mailboxes to a PST then open that when you are off line.

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Oh no, that's a shame!

I was trying to replicate Outlook on my notebook as I have on my desktop PC. Any other ways around it? Can't have the emails just on a pst on my laptop because of backing up and also loosing them off the desktop, plus loosing sync between them etc.

Comment

I saw on the newsgroups someone suggest connecting to the additional mailboxes by IMAP as a workaround for this problem - as they will be cached by outlook.
        However I'm yet to make a successful connection to exchange via IMAP from outside of the office LAN.

Comment

Have you configured your firewall to forward IMAP traffic to your server? (port 143)

http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto...ind-router.asp
          Regards,
          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Just looking this up, and everything I read sounds like it's only the primary that can be used offline.

IMAP is an interesting suggestion. You should be able to use telnet.exe or PuTTY.exe to the IP address on port 143 to confirm IMAP is connected and operational. Last I checked though, you need to connect directly to the server the IMAP mailbox is hosted on, and you also had to login using the mailbox alias which must match the LAN ID.

Comment

Working...
            X