Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone interested in how to add a PST to Outlook 2003 if the GPO forbids it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone interested in how to add a PST to Outlook 2003 if the GPO forbids it?

In Outlook 2000, I was able to make this work w/ a registry tweak. In Outlook 2003, even the DisablePST = 0 doesn't help.

I was able to solve the problem by adding the PST on another machine and doing a registry export / import of certain keys to the target. A little over the top but cured the problem.

I'm not fishing but I need to know if there is interest here before I expend the effort to document the activity. Not looking for everyone to vote. Three Yeahs from folks w/ reputations > 10 (and no Neahs from senior members) and I'll put it in my queue.
    Last edited by rvalstar; 30th October 2006, 16:45. Reason: removing contact info as it is now on google and i'm getting too many requests for this
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Re: Anyone interested in how to add a PST to Outlook 2003 if the GPO forbids it?

If the system administrator has taken the trouble to create a GPO to prevent PST creation, then there's a company policy behind it. If there's a company policy which forbids PST's, then you don't create PST's - if you do you stand to lose your job.

I simply cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would expend energy trying to get around their own employer's policy? It's self-destructive - it's madness.

P.S. If you have a technical or business case for creating a PST file in spite of general policy, then make that case to the authorities; don't find ways to BREAK the policy.
    Last edited by Stonelaughter; 23rd October 2006, 22:50.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Re: Anyone interested in how to add a PST to Outlook 2003 if the GPO forbids it?

1) Was hoping to hear from the old timers as I am new and not aware if a topic like this is appropriate for this site.

2) You bring up a good, albeit misguided (IMHO), point.

3) IT is often driven by the desires of the Legal Department which wishes to "take photographs and leave footprints" -- Ansel Adams (in other words, zero impact on the legal environment). This doesn't really work on a 5 year project where you're instructed to keep everything should litigation arise and you often need to search the archive to CYA. I'm not for breaking the rules. It's just that sometimes the rules must be broken for progress to occur.

4) This is a technical endeavor. I can't legislate morality but I can share knowledge. If what I share is so dangerous to life in the free world as we know it, a counter-measure will come to pass shortly.
      Last edited by rvalstar; 2nd November 2006, 12:53. Reason: Trying to clean up my act.
      Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Rvalstar,

Firstly please refrain from insulting other members of this forum.

Originally posted by RVALSTAR
        1) Your reputation isn't > 10 so you can't follow directions
        This is a direct insult to the poster of the previous remark, Stonelaughter, and it will NOT be tolerated on this forum by any of the admins.

Secondly what you are proposing to tell people will be against someone's IT policy somewhere. Generally these policies are put in place to protect the company and the employee under certain circumstances.

You may or may not be aware but most admins monitor the size of usrs mailboxes ad any sudden reduction in size will be noticed and the user will then be monitored even closer for breaches of the IT policy.

I suggest that you do not post the answer to this until i speak to my fellow mods about this and we as a group can come up with an answer of whether we will allow it or not.

For the mean time i am going to close this post until such times as we make a decision. If you have issues with this then please PM me.

Comment

After discussions with the other mods we have decided to re-open this thread.

rvalstar, if you wish to publish this then please speak to Daniel about it.

Comment

No need to pursue this here as there has been no interest to either learn how to use it or defend against it.

Ciao,

Rick
            Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
              No need to pursue this here as there has been no interest to either learn how to use it or defend against it.

Ciao,

Rick

The lack of interest could simply be because the thread has been locked. Leave it a couple of days and we will see what happens.

Comment

Working...
              X