Unable to get context menu for Outlook Items

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to get context menu for Outlook Items

I have Outlook 2003 (although I have seen the issue on earlier versions). Suddenly, between reading one mail and the next, the thing started ignoring right-clicks on messages in the message list pane. A quick bit of digging around reveals that this is true for all Outlook Items - tasks, journal entries, calendar items, etc etc etc. I can still right-click on other interface elements; folders, white space, headings, menus etc. Just not items.

I can't find anything anywhere simply because I tried about 4 billion search terms and drew a blank and got bored...

Does anyone here have a clue what might have caused this, or how to fix it? I tried a "Detect and Repair" with "Repair this installation". I tried a new Outlook profile. Now offically stuck. Help? Please?

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Re: Unable to get context menu for Outlook Items

Noone's seen this before?

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

Sorry, I do not understand what you mean when you say ITEMS? Any chance of a screenshot to clatify what you mean or can better describe your problem?
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
        Sorry, I do not understand what you mean when you say ITEMS? Any chance of a screenshot to clatify what you mean or can better describe your problem?
        Items like emails, calendar appointments, tasks... basically anything in the right-hand pane. (White spce in the right-hand pane works fine; but right-clicking on an email listed in the inbox for instance just flashes the cursor once). Right-clicking in the "Reading pane" (formerly the preview pane) also works fine... just not the item list pane.

Tom

Comment

Here's a screenshot.

If I right-click on 1,2,3,4,or 5, it works just fine. If I right-click on 6, I get nothing... just a flash of the pointer.

Thanks
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Stonelaughter; 19th October 2006, 16:11.

Tom

Comment

Microsoft Support found the answer for me. (I tried asking EVERYONE - )

What you have to do is, close Outlook, and go to:

C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\

and rename the "Forms" folder. Then restart Outlook. The "Forms" folder is the forms cache, which apparently can become corrupt. When you rename (or delete it - not recommended) it forces Outlook to re-enumerate it. Bingo, problem solved.

Thanks for the head-scratching, anyway guys!!

Tom

Comment

Working...
            X