No announcement yet.

Solution to Email Hyperlink problems

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solution to Email Hyperlink problems

When I click on any hyperlink in any email in my friend's inbox, it automatically begins to procedure to install "Spam Inspector for Outlook Express". We don't know where this came from & want to make it disappear. He's using Outlook 2003 (not express), Xp pro SP2, IE6.0 with all critical windows updates & Office updates installed. The PC is only 6 months old with 1GB of memory & plenty of hd space.

I'd like to get rid of this nuisance. I've tried numerous things to remedy this, all to no avail. They include full/deep scans with Webroot Spysweeper, Adaware, Microsoft Windows Defender, the online Microsoft LiveOneCare totalcare scan, Norton windoctor from disk & Avast antivirus...No luck.. System restore didn't work on the 3 dates I tried. I even allowed the Spam Inspector to install & then removed it... No luck..I did a Outlook 2003 detect & repair...An uninstall & reinstall of Outlook.....I uninstalled Avast (because it had an Outlook add-on that I thought may have been bad) & installed System Mechanic & used their system & registry repair tools & anti virus(Kaspersky)...Still no luck....Everything else on the pc works fine (except maybe System Restore). Hyperlinks from my yahoo email accounts work fine.

Does anybody have any suggestions? Since it's not recognized as a virus or spyware, I suspect it's a corrupt dll or registry key, but I don't know how to fix it. Thanks.

Solution to Email Hyperlink problems

After much research, I finally found the solution to my problem as described in my unanswered Sept 23 post. Below is a cut & paste from Microsoft which provided the answer. Their problem description is different from mine, but the resolution worked. Here it is in case anyone else runs into a similar problem:
    When you click a hyperlink in Microsoft Outlook, you may receive the following error message:
    This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator.

After you upgrade to Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0, the following registry key is either missing or corrupt:

HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Classes\htmlfile\shell \open\command

Back to the top

You may be able to resolve the issue by resetting Web settings in Internet Explorer. If that does not resolve the issue, import the registry key from another computer.

Back to the top

Reset Web settings
    Start Internet Explorer.
    2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
    3. Click the Programs tab, and then click the Reset Web Settings button.
    4. Under Internet programs, verify that the correct e-mail program is selected.
    5. Click to select the Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser check box.
    6. Click Apply, and then click OK.

Note You may receive the following message when Internet Explorer starts:
    Internet Explorer is not currently your default browser. Would you like to make it your default browser?
    If you receive the message, click Yes.

Re: Solution to Email Hyperlink problems

Ezgoined, congratulations on finding a solution to your posted problem and thank you for for posting back the solution and sharing it with everyone. We really appreciate that.

I know it can be confusing, but in the future when you find a solution, use the REPLY button on the original post so that the problem and solution are kept under on thread.

For you community spirit in posting back with the solution, please find some Reputation Points added to your Profile. Well done.

[Got brave and tried a thread merge. It seemed to work, Thank You Milo!]
      Last edited by biggles77; 3rd October 2006, 08:09.
      Departed: 23rd December 2015