Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook Calendar Free/Busy Presence Lync plugin

Hi,

I work for a global company and they have rolled out Office Lync as a cloud hosted application which I have no control over.

Unfortunately all Lync accounts created are not synchronised with our Active Directory accounts, so the usual feature of Lync's presence being updated based on Outlook availability does not work.

I remember in a previous life being able to add keywords into a meeting such as [In a Meeting] in a calendar's topic and it would update communicator's status. I believe it was a plugin that handled that feature, but I could be wrong.

We use a mixture of Lync 2010/2013 with the Outlook 2010 client on Windows 7. Are there any similar plugins available that we can install locally that will change Lync's status based on Outlook availability? e.g. if my Outlook calendar shows I am in a meeting, are there any plugins that will change Lync's status to show me as 'In a Meeting'?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Outlook Calendar Free/Busy Presence Lync plugin

Originally posted by hetfield View Post
    Hi,

I work for a global company and they have rolled out Office Lync as a cloud hosted application which I have no control over.

Unfortunately all Lync accounts created are not synchronised with our Active Directory accounts, so the usual feature of Lync's presence being updated based on Outlook availability does not work.

I remember in a previous life being able to add keywords into a meeting such as [In a Meeting] in a calendar's topic and it would update communicator's status. I believe it was a plugin that handled that feature, but I could be wrong.

We use a mixture of Lync 2010/2013 with the Outlook 2010 client on Windows 7. Are there any similar plugins available that we can install locally that will change Lync's status based on Outlook availability? e.g. if my Outlook calendar shows I am in a meeting, are there any plugins that will change Lync's status to show me as 'In a Meeting'?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Provided Lync can contact Exchange Web Services it will utilize F/B status from Outlook by default. It does this through the Lync client. Make sure you have "Update my presence status based on my Calender Information" selected.

http://windowspbx.blogspot.co.uk/201...g-lync-to.html

Does this affect ALL users or just some? You said Lync is hosted. Does your Cloud Provider also host your Exchange assuming you're using Exchange?

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for your response. It affects all Lync users, and we do have that option checked however it doesn't seem to be working.

Our Exchange server is managed internally as far as I am aware, but unfortunately that's over in the US and I only manage infrastructure here in Australia.

Funnily enough, when I go to enter an email address of another employee in the 'To, CC or BCC' fields, or send an Outlook invite who has Lync, I can see their current Lync status next to their name.

This is why I was hoping there was some type of plugin that could handle it at the local level. Global aren't really helping any further unfortunately.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for your response. It affects all Lync users, and we do have that option checked however it doesn't seem to be working.

Our Exchange server is managed internally as far as I am aware, but unfortunately that's over in the US and I only manage infrastructure here in Australia.

Funnily enough, when I go to enter an email address of another employee in the 'To, CC or BCC' fields, or send an Outlook invite who has Lync, I can see their current Lync status next to their name.

This is why I was hoping there was some type of plugin that could handle it at the local level. Global aren't really helping any further unfortunately.
        Ok let me rephrase is Exchange and Lync in the same forest? Or are they in separate forests? Are there any error messages in the Lync client? (Usually in the bottom right hand corner about Exchange integration) Do your clients use the same credentials in Lync to access Exchange?

Comment

Hi,

From my understanding the Lync server is hosted by a third party as part of Office 365, and is not in the same forest.

I can say that the Lync credentials and the Exchange credentials are not the same. When we want to manage our passwords, accounts etc for Lync we browse to https://login.microsoftonline.com/ and user our Lync credentials there.

I do not see any error messages in Lync at all.

Comment

Hi,

From my understanding the Lync server is hosted by a third party as part of Office 365, and is not in the same forest.

I can say that the Lync credentials and the Exchange credentials are not the same. When we want to manage our passwords, accounts etc for Lync we browse to https://login.microsoftonline.com/ and user our Lync credentials there.

I do not see any error messages in Lync at all.
            That's likely the root of your problem then. Exchange and Lync are in separate forests. So your Lync client credentials can't get to the F/B service in your onprem Exchange as your hosted Lync environment is unaware of it.
            You're going to need to work with your Exchange/Lync team to understand the architecture of each and 'how' they're integrated, assuming there's any integration at all. Seeing as they're in separate forests and you have ID management in each its likely there's no integration at all between the two forests. As a conventional deployment would have Exchange and Lync in the same forest as that's how the products designed to work.

Have a look at the two links below. What you are trying to accomplish is not unusual, even though its not a conventional deployment. But there are caveats you need to be aware of which are detailed in the paper below.

http://www.lync.geek.nz/2014/04/lync...tegration.html

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=15668

Comment

Working...
            X