No announcement yet.

OCS R2 communicator not syncing

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OCS R2 communicator not syncing

    When i add new users to AD and then within our OCS 2007 (standard) R2 server, when I enable new employee, they are not showing up in the galcontacts.db.

    furthermore, I am unable to download galcontacts.db after I deleted mine or any new employee from the server.

    On the server I ran abserver -regur and then abserver -syncnow, but nothing is being downloaded.

    I saw online somewhere that I need to update the registry on win 7 to pull it down, but that doesn't help either. I have waited weeks and ran many many absever -regur and -syncnow without any luck.

    I have verified that within iis I am using an update cert, same cert shows up within ocs admin console.

    however when I navigate to the url https://localhost/Abs/Int/Handler I get page not found.

    I have verified that LASgroupAppPool is using the correct user name RTCComponentService.

    I do see a lot of phone_book_normilization_txt errors, but we're not using any voip so that's ok, I don't think that would matter correct?

    I am confused and in desperate need of help!

    any ideas?

  • #2
    Re: OCS R2 communicator not syncing

    I figured out the answer. The certificate was expired which i had updated and replaced, but forgot to the the following:

    1. On the computer that is running Internet Information Services (IIS 7.0), click Start, click Run, type inetmgr.msc, and then click OK.
    2. Expand ComputerName (local computer), expand Web Sites, click the website that hosts the address book, and then click Bindings in the Actions pane.
    3. Select the HTTPS site binding that includes the port that the Address book Service is listening on, and then click Edit.
    4. Click View to open the certificate dialog box, and then view the expiration date of the certificate on the General tab.
    Note The IIS Server Certificate feature helps you renew your certificate or replace your certificate with a valid certificate.

    that fixed the issue and my OCS started to get the latest address book.

    This site helped: